Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How high can you dry stack a raised garden bed?

Posted by MSP_JSP 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 22:19

How high can you dry stack a raised garden bed and still fill it with soil, without the bricks/stones toppling over?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How high can you dry stack a raised garden bed?

A skilled stone mason can probably build a dry stacked wall as high as you want it. For all others, I'd say keep it low enough to avoid a safety hazard, dig down and start the wall below grade a bit using the largest stones, and slope it in slightly toward the soil side so it doesn't fall outward.
I'm not a mason, but since no one else piped up...you can probably get a lot of info on the Stone forum.

o
RE: How high can you dry stack a raised garden bed?

Thanks for directing us to the Stone forum. We hadn't found that one yet. I also posted this question to the landscape design forum, and there are some good responses, as well as a follow up picture of what we did this past weekend: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg0417250119248.html.

We did start the stones a bit below grade. We also canted them ever so slightly toward the soil side. This weekend, on the advice of our local, independent garden center, we covered the inside with surface bonding cement. It feels pretty solid, now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here