Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todzone5

Shrub ideas for front of house

TodZone5
10 years ago

This is my first time posting to this forum and I am a novice. I welcome any ideas. I am looking for some suggestions on shrubs we could use along the front of the house. Last year we tore out lots of yews, a few monster rhododendrons and 2 hemlocks (30 ft) that totally covered the front of the house. We dug up roots, roto-ed, fertilized and then mulched the area. It's a western exposure. We get sun mid-day to evening. This afternoon light is blocked by the two Red Oaks, so it's not direct sun. Many homes have rhododendrons and I'd like to use something else. Perhaps a few different types and colors and sizes? The total length across the front of the house is 25 feet. The windows run along 15 ft. The depth is 10 feet. Any ideas on how many and how high? I'd like to get something tall on the right of the space (opposite side of the porch). There is a gap in the Junipers close to the house that I'd like to cover up so we can't see the neighbor's driveway. Just not sure how to "shape" the space (width, heigth and placement). The elm in the front yard throws off the lines and I'd very much like to keep it there. Thanks for any input.This is our first step. We will also want to plant flowers in and around these shrubs. Thanks to all !

Comments (4)