Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bocce Court

Posted by Boyan NC (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 22:31

Hey guys, hopefully I can get some help with construction of Bocce Court here in North Carolina. Here is my question, I do not know what to use for top surface of the court the more research I do the more confused I get. I am looking for something that will not cost too much but that will suite the purpose. The two materials I most commonly saw were Decomposed Granite and Stone Dust (Screenings). My only concern is the compaction of the material, SD seems to be the right material but if I place and 2-3” and its compacted it seems like it will turn into dust once its dried in summer, is there any compaction to it, or should I go with smaller depth. With DG should I use Stabilizer or just regular DG, how well does this material compact?
Thanks,
Bo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bocce Court

In my area, stone dust comes in a variety of sizes but it is hard to find a super fine stone dust . Over a short amount of time the fines filter down and the larger particles rise to the top.
This makes it a good intermediate base especially if you are topping off the court with oystershell flour, but not a good finished playing surface.
You may be able to find a finely granualize stone dust in your area in which case it would make a good finished surface. In my area though , the stone yards don't carry a fine stone dust like they do in other regions of the country. ( that's one reason why you see decomposed granite used )

I've used dg to build courts with and due to the relatively uniform size of the particles it makes a more suitable intermediate as well as a satisfactory finished playing surface.

A stabilizer makes the surface more durable and there is still enough of a grainy texture.

If you can locate oyster shell flour it makes for a nice finished playing surface, especially it you have a custom mix that uses a little clay in the mixture.

Our regular building specifications use 3/4 compacted drain rock, a 3 inch sub base of permeable stone dust fines ( which is not like east coast stone dust fines ) and then cap it off with a leveling layer of clay + oyster shell mix

I buy a local finished product here ( Northern California ) from Jerico Co located in Petaluma Ca.

Attached are a couple photos showing some bocce courts with different finished and unfinished materials.
The modern looking court has its base and subbase installed . It doesn't have the oyster flour + clay mix added yet.

The bocce below is finished with oyster flour and is surrounded by stablized decomposed granite

From Sonoma - Freudbrgr

From Sonoma Valley Project

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here