Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestion on some type of fence, barrier, or wall.

Posted by takkie none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 22:34

Hello.

I live on the corner house near a On a busy street, and adjacent to a Revsere T block. ( see below, xxx is my house, and the only house in between the two cross street)

----- : ----- : ------
------- xxx -------

My main entrance is facing the 2 cross street, and my front yard is splitted in half because my door is in the middle. so the front lawn is about 40ft x 20 and 60ft x 20 ft, splitter by a walk way. Have no fencing in the front yard, so the large piece is just grass.

Every week, I have garages on my lawn , from takeout boxes to plastic bags, to cigarette butts, to newspaper flying around. It's because the wind blows the garbages on the street on to my lawn, from the Main Street, or down from the 2 cross street adjacent to my house. I spend a great deal of time and money redoing the lawn myself, after I bought this house 1 year ago.

The worse of all, in the fall, all the leaves are blown onto my lawn, behind the small bushes I have, and on the lawn itself. During hurricane sandy, I cleaned up the lawn with 12 bags of leaves, as it was around 3 inches thick all over y lawn.

Now I understand why the lawn is so ugly when the prev owner had it, it's because if the time and effort required to keep it up so it doesn't get trashed.

This spring, I called a few company to give me a quote on building a brick wall with post hats about 4 feet high. Quotes I got was 12000 (labor and material) and 1 week of job, 3 man per day.

That is too expensive. So I started looking into cheaper solutions, to keep garbage and leaves out. I saw those stackable stone wall or retaining wall, but it looks like they are all built behind lawn that's also as high as the wall height. That's not what I am looking for.

I am simply looking for some sort of nice looking wall that's about 1.5 to 2 feet high, and I want to do it myself. Without lifting the lawn surface to the same height. My house is 1 story tall, so the front "fence" or "wall" cannot be too high, otherwise, it will look weird.

I cannot install picket fence or semi privacy, because hey have gaps in between, and garbages can still come in.

Can you give me ideas or suggestions how I can do it? Remember, Is not a retaining wall with sol to support behind it, it's just a straight standing wall.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestion on some type of fence, barrier, or wall.

My sympathies, Takkie. In my experience living in a windy area, solid barriers (such as walls) direct the wind (bearing garbage) up and over the wall top; whereas intermittent barriers (such as picket, lattice and other kinds of open-work fencing) slow the wind, thus allowing the trash to drop outside the fence. Of course, somebody still has to go outside the fence to pick it up, but it doesn't get so much of it inside your yard.

Another trick used by veggie gardeners in rabbit and deer zones, is to put chicken wire or hardware cloth inside the picket fencing: almost invisible but definitely a trash- (and rabbit-) stopper.

Your cheapest solution may be that picket fencing you mentioned, backed up by the metal trash-stoppers I mentioned. But only 2 ft. high may not keep out enough. Any way you could go at least 30" (2.5 ft.) high? Pickets would look better at that height, anyway.

Carol

o

Thanks. The exterior look of my house is red brick + white field stones.

i thought of picket, but the picket fence that i have seen doesnt look that well with the look of the house.

I can go 30" or 48", not much restriction on the height itself. I just thought lower may look better since the house is not a 2 story.

picket fence without the metal stopper -- does it keep leaves out?

thx

o

takkie,

Look at this link. There are dozens of designs idea for picket fences beyond the ones we see most commonly.

With little distance between the pickets I think your blown in trash will be very significantly reduced.

Hope you find something you like!

Rosie

Here is a link that might be useful: Picket fence designs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here