Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
takkie_gw

Suggestion on some type of fence, barrier, or wall.

takkie
10 years ago

Hello.

I live on the corner house near a On a busy street, and adjacent to a Revsere T block. ( see below, xxx is my house, and the only house in between the two cross street)

----- : ----- : ------
------- xxx -------

My main entrance is facing the 2 cross street, and my front yard is splitted in half because my door is in the middle. so the front lawn is about 40ft x 20 and 60ft x 20 ft, splitter by a walk way. Have no fencing in the front yard, so the large piece is just grass.

Every week, I have garages on my lawn , from takeout boxes to plastic bags, to cigarette butts, to newspaper flying around. It's because the wind blows the garbages on the street on to my lawn, from the Main Street, or down from the 2 cross street adjacent to my house. I spend a great deal of time and money redoing the lawn myself, after I bought this house 1 year ago.

The worse of all, in the fall, all the leaves are blown onto my lawn, behind the small bushes I have, and on the lawn itself. During hurricane sandy, I cleaned up the lawn with 12 bags of leaves, as it was around 3 inches thick all over y lawn.

Now I understand why the lawn is so ugly when the prev owner had it, it's because if the time and effort required to keep it up so it doesn't get trashed.

This spring, I called a few company to give me a quote on building a brick wall with post hats about 4 feet high. Quotes I got was 12000 (labor and material) and 1 week of job, 3 man per day.

That is too expensive. So I started looking into cheaper solutions, to keep garbage and leaves out. I saw those stackable stone wall or retaining wall, but it looks like they are all built behind lawn that's also as high as the wall height. That's not what I am looking for.

I am simply looking for some sort of nice looking wall that's about 1.5 to 2 feet high, and I want to do it myself. Without lifting the lawn surface to the same height. My house is 1 story tall, so the front "fence" or "wall" cannot be too high, otherwise, it will look weird.

I cannot install picket fence or semi privacy, because hey have gaps in between, and garbages can still come in.

Can you give me ideas or suggestions how I can do it? Remember, Is not a retaining wall with sol to support behind it, it's just a straight standing wall.

Thanks.

Comments (3)