Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drewl_gw

Concrete Stain on 'Rumble Wall Earth Stone'?

drewl
17 years ago

Home Depot and Lowes sell brick-shaped concrete stacking 'stones', which look to be a mix between concrete and finely crushed granite. My local Home Depot calls theirs 'Rumble Wall Earth Stone', while my local Lowe's carries a slightly smaller version called 'Old Manore Retaining Wall Stone.'

I want to use these to build a raised bed along the side of my house, specifically for a vegetable garden. The land is sloped (about 15-20 degrees), so I want a series of tiered beds.

I do like the look of these 'stones', but would like to consider buying two different shades of concrete stain (semi-transparent) to treat them (Home Depot Behr brand). I hate the look of blackened-stained concrete, and these stains are also a 'seal', so the concrete might remain cleaner longer. Have any of you had experience using these concrete stains? Anything to look out for, or worry about? Do they fade quickly? Do they protect against some level of concrete staining (dirt plus pollution)?

I want to have two slightly different shades, because I don't want two highly contrasting shades, which would only distract someone from the beautiful plants. I want just enough to create a textured, multidimensional feel to the hardscape (kind of like the older multihued bricks on some homes).

Comments (9)

• punamytsike
    17 years ago

Depending what colors you were thinking of, this might work for you. In our rose garden I used liquid iron (sold HD and Lowes in garden center as fertilizer). The bench was also later covered with HD sealant, the edge around the bed not. Both are visible on the photo attached. The HD sealant allows water to penetrate, so when it is wet the color is deeper than when it is try. On the photo it is try. But regardless it is not uniform as the concrete took liquid iron differently and reacted creating lighter and darker areas.
    I have not checked HD stains lately but what they used to have were not stains but paint that they called stain. True stain does not cover anything and will not ever be uniformed color on concrete.
    Good luck :)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:27505}}

• drewl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear Punamystike,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the stains that Home Depot offers are will not be uniform, or at least not the semi-transparent ones.

I actually did a little more online research last night, and saw some references to using 'acid stain' to color concrete. This is more likely what I will want, because it involves an actual chemical reaction with the concrete, and hence is more 'permanent' in certain regards (although it will fade under UV light). The siliconized acrylic-based stains that Home Depot offers look as if they will actually peel off, and this is definitely not something I want on a rough-surfaced concrete block (instead of a smooth-finished garage floor).

The only issue with these acid-stains is that they are highly caustic. Some of the pictures of what people do with these are amazing . . . the building and floorwork look like marble or other exotic mined-limestone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Concrete Stain Color Samples

• punamytsike
    17 years ago

My oldest concrete projects will be 4 years old this summer. They look as good as when they were done. I used www.decosup.com acid stains and was very happy with them and still am.

Here is a link that might be useful: my acid stain concrete projects, some of them.

• drewl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Punamytsike,

Wow, you did an amazing job on those projects! What is the procedure for creating the patterns? Is a saw used to etch a line, and then the stain is applied to the various sections?

Thanks for the info!

• punamytsike
    17 years ago

Thanks.
    We used 4" grinder with the diamond blade to cut the lines in the concrete. After that, I used those cheap HD foam brushes to paint each color, being careful that it did not get over the line, as if it did, you can not take it back anymore. The stain works instantly.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Amazing. I had no idea that one could paint concrete with stain to create such gorgeous art. wow.

I just want to stain our grey patio a rusty brown color to match the attached deck.

• karinl
    17 years ago

Punamy, I just clicked on your ceiling process link for the first time, and boy am I relieved to see that the great room ceiling is wood panels, not etched plaster or concrete. I just couldn't picture etching those designs in overhead and was starting to feel very, very inadequate... as usual, my heartfelt compliments on your work!

• saurus_gardener
    17 years ago

Hi Punamytsyke,

Absolutely gorgeous designs!

Before you put the stain, was the concrete polished in anyway?

I'm planning to ask a contractor to pour some concrete for a patio in my backyard. After he is done with that, I want to try to emulate your coloring (can never beat the awesome looks you created of course). Should I ask the contractor to do anything special while he is pouring concrete?

Thanks much!

- Saurus

• punamytsike
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words. I have had lots of fun while doing those projects, both inside and outside.
    Saurus, to get the best possible look, IMO, you need to get your concrete guys to make the concrete as smooth as possible. The smoother and tenser it is, the more marble like look you will get after staining. Good luck and have fun.