Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How should vinyl fencing posts be installed?

Posted by berry_stewart 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 23:08

How should vinyl fencing posts be installed? I have 3 different contractors recommending 3 different ways for the same ActiveYards Dogwood panels (I am in New England):
1. 3' depth, 6 inches of gravel in the bottom of each hole and 160# of concrete per post
2. 3' depth, no gravel, 80lbs concrete, Pressure treated wood block insert 5x5x9" for line posts, & 7' block for gate posts
3. 3' depth, no gravel, 80lbs concrete per post, Aluminum Post Stiffener or galvanized steel insert for gate posts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How should vinyl fencing posts be installed?

The important thing to remember is that the posts are hollow and on their own will not support either fence or gate. Gate posts need to be more substantial than other posts. If the concrete goes in the hole first concrete can be worked up into the post somewhat but this is not reliable so I would eliminate No1. A pressure treated wood insert (no. 2) works well but there needs to be gravel in the bottom of the hole as drainage to prevent rotting of the wood. I am not familiar with metal inserts but this could be more durable ask to see a demo: the strength needs to come from the insert and the vinyl just like a sleeve over it.

o
RE: How should vinyl fencing posts be installed?

See this thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinyl fence posts - cement or not?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here