Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Building a step with concrete and retaining wall stones?

loribee2
14 years ago

I have some of those concrete retaining wall stones you can get at Home Depot. They're shaped like fat pie wedges, are about a foot wide, 4" high and are curved at the front. I've placed them in a half circle at the door to my garden shed and think they'd make a beautiful step. The lift to my shed is about a foot, so the step would be handy for my (aging) knees.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this. Obviously, this leaves a "hole" in the center of the half-circle that needs to be filled. I was thinking about creating a footing of concrete and setting the stones on top while the cement was still wet, then filling in the hole with concrete. Do you think this would work?

My first shot was to fill the center with gravel, but it only took several walks on the rock and the stones started spreading out. I definitely need something to hold them in place. My concrete experience is limited to post holes, but I'm willing to give it a try. Thought I'd check here to see if my idea has any merit before I create a giant concrete mess!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Comments (3)