Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kid Friendly Privacy Hedge

Posted by soilenthusiast (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 23:35

Greetings,

We would like to put up a privacy hedge (ideally something that will rise up to 20-25 feet) in our backyard. It may go against either a concrete block wall or a wood fence (we're not sure yet). We're located in Southern California.

I've done a fair amount of research online, including in this forum, but can't seem to find any plants that are "non-toxic" or have other issues. Since this hedge will be bordering a child's play area, the toxicity was my main concern. A ficus hedge has been suggested, but I heard the roots will destroy a block wall if I put one nearby. Podocarpus Gracilior was another option, but a number of websites suggest it has some toxic properties. Same with Carolina Cherry, Privet, etc. It seems that a Eugenia Hedge would work, but landscapers suggest that it's not a great tree and one that diseases easily.

Are there any safe hedges (there must be - tons of people have hedges around here)?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kid Friendly Privacy Hedge

Edible pineapple guava, Feijoa may be a good possibility.

other choices for you to further research would be Pittosporum tenuifolium and Rhamnus alaternus. .. and prehaps Metrosideros.

o

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 21:41

I hope they are Hedge Friendly Kids. Get a strong tough hedge because in my experience, kids like to burrow in them. Min

o

Look into purple hopseed bush. I grow mine as trees which become airy but they can be pruned into a bush. I prefer the natural sweep. I do not think there's a toxicity issue as far as I've read.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here