Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planning a new vegetable garden... on gravel and grass

Posted by rmawhorter 4a Hazelton BC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 23:56

Hi all,
We're about to move into a new property and I would like to get in a vegetable garden right away. The property is mostly gravel and rock but at the front of the property is a pathetic, over grown lawn that has become almost entirely quack grass (no one has lived on the property for about 4 years). The soil goes about 3 inches down before it hits gravel/sand. What I'm tentatively planning to do is to lay down newspaper and have a load of aged manure brought to the property to have laid down on top of the newspaper so that it'll be about a foot thick. I haven't planned to roto-till the grass because of the gravel being so close to the surface. Does this sound like a decent plan or does it sound destined to failure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planning a new vegetable garden... on gravel and grass

The Vegetable Forum and Compost & Mulch Forum have a lot of discussions and strong opinions related to this question. "Failure" is a relative term depending on alternatives such as expectations for degree of success and whether the alternative would be no garden at all, so I have had adequate success in getting enough yield from similar approaches, on a small scale, to make it worth the alternative of no veggies at all. Planting in "only" manure or compost ( manure has to be essentially aged into compost, I guess, or it would burn/digest your seeds and plants) has some limitations re; what types of crops work better, or not, but I expect you can get some advice on that. Remember that materials you describe spread a foot thick will be about 6 in thick or less before long, but again, you could factor that in.

o
RE: planning a new vegetable garden... on gravel and grass

Hi rmawhorter,

I'm not super experienced or a landscape designer but your post got my eye because we are in a similar situation. My new house (ok, 2 years new) has a perfect spot for planting, in terms of sun and southern exposure, but it is an area that is all pea gravel, to a depth of 6 inches at least.

We built raised beds - 18 inches high (I want to grow potatoes and carrots or I would have just made them 12 inches) by 3'X3' and I just dropped them on the gravel, with a layer of newspaper underneath. But first I hoed out the weeds; and weeds were a good thing really. I know that the soil under the gravel has *some* fertility because weeds were growing there all on their own!

You suggest getting a load of manure, but you don't want manure if you hope to plant your vegetable garden this year; manure will burn your plants and if you are lucky enough to manage lots of leafy green growth from the nitrogen, you'll end up with almost no flowering.

Instead call (or google) around to your local compost dealers and find a blend of compost and topsoil that is recommended for raised beds. Locally here in northern CA I bought enough for my 4 beds for $120 and then bought 4 bags of really rich compost to blend in just for good measure.

I hope this is helpful, good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here