Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front of 2 storey townhouse

Posted by kaybee01 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 23:58

I have a 2 storey townhouse so very little space in front for planting. Approx size available for planting is 3feet deep x 5 feet long. Not much room!! I have full sun first thing in morning until about 3pm and its hot here in the summer. Any advice on what to plant is greatly appreciated. Right now the area is surrounded by rail way ties which I plan to get rid of and put blocks down maybe in a semi-circle design up to sidewalk.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front of 2 storey townhouse

I think we need more information.

Is the actual planting area 3' x 5', or does that space include the blocks you expect to add? If the latter, how wide are the blocks?

What's on the sides of the bed: house, lawn, sidewalk, something else?

Do you have a height preference or limit (for instance, a window you don't want to cover)?

What do you want to see in the winter: something green, bare branches, or snow-covered earth?

If there are flowers, what color(s) do you prefer?

o
RE: Front of 2 storey townhouse

Those questions kind of imply a promise of a response that will actually recommend plants, and I think the OP is best warned that this forum rarely engages on plant selection specifically but on the general design/layout/profile of the area, maybe specifying plant shape/type for you to look for at the nursery.

We do need more information to say what might look good in any case, whatever level of detail we offer. What your gardening persona is, and what your house looks like (eg, low windows) and what you have to contend with from the neighbour, so a photo wouldn't hurt. If you have a free account on a photohosting site like Photobucket you can copy the HTML tag of your photo and post it into the body of your message here. It should show up when you hit preview.

Otherwise, a description of those things.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here