Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slope towards fence: raised bed or no?

Posted by julianna_il z6 IL (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 0:06

I want to put a perennial bed at the corner of the backyard fence. The yard slopes somewhat to the fence, so the fence is a bit lower than where the front edge will begin.

It's not a huge slope, probably like the photo link below, or not quite as much. (I just googled, not my pic)

What I'm wondering is if I need to edge this bed in at the back (maybe a plank of cedar) and raise it so it's more level? Or should I just go with the way it is? My main concern is erosion.

I haven't planned out the bed yet, but I suspect the back (at the fence) will be Joe Pye weed and butterfly weed. Maybe some morning glories. I don't know what else, but shorter things in front. LOL.

http://backyardice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/sloped-yard.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slope towards fence: raised bed or no?

You could probably minimize or eliminate erosion on this mild slope with some wood chip mulch. It's a good idea not to raise grade in front of a fence, if possible.

o

Thanks!

Would certainly be easier if I don't have to try and level it out.

o

One more thing occurs to me, if you NEED some levelling. If that's the case, since you're only trying to combat potential erosion, you could use individual boards on edge that are attached to stakes securely driven into the ground in order to level up sections of the garden. Let's say, for example, that there is an 18" grade differential from one end of the garden to the other. Instead of creating an 18" retaining wall/device at the low end of the garden, divide the levelling into 3, 6" level changes. Plants can hide any unattractive structures since those would be low height. I would use the easiest, cheapest solution that does the job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here