Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdbrya2

New Landscape - Blank Slate!

rdbrya2
9 years ago

Hi Ladies! I recently found the home side of this website and scrolling through the garden side tonight I found this landscape design forum - yay!! They had some excellent advice for the curb appeal of my home, but now I must come up with some landscape choices and a layout that will look good with the front style of my home. I am in Louisiana, Zone 9. Plants that I know do excellent here are Azaleas, Knockout Roses, Lily of the Nile (Agapanthas), and as far as taller things, Little Gem Magnolia, Japanese Magnolia, and Crepe Myrtle. I am moreso having problems with placement and layout. Any input would be great, thank you everyone!!

Comments (8)

• rdbrya2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a view more to the side as well

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

We're not ALL ladies here ...

I'm not from the South, but my thought is that Knockouts (which we grow up north as well) ... might become a THORNY bear to manage.

On trips down south I am always impressed with the Crepe Myrtles.

You also might wish to put a small tree (Magnolia ?) somewhere between the house and the road. South of the house would probably be best (to take advantage of the shade).

• rdbrya2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops!!! Sorry, I should have known it wasn't all ladies here!! Hopefully no offense taken :-)

I appreciate the reply. I will steer away from any bush that is too 'thorny' as I have lots of little kids running around, too. I know there are some rose bushes that are thornless (maybe I'm mistaken will have to double check on that).

I definitely plan to put some Magnolias. I recently heard of these 'Encore Azaleas' that are supposed to bloom 3 seasons out the year so I'm pretty intrigued by those.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"Ladies" ... ?? I was gonna say!!

It looks like a pretty good house, but I am puzzled why you cheaped out on the stoop and the entrance walk. It is underwhelming! Also, there is no reason to have two steps. One (with grading to match) would have been much better for appearance and for utility. I'm showing it widened and the cheekwalls built beefier. Maybe, in the future, you'll decide to upgrade it to a better look.

The planting ideas I'm keeping simple (as usual) ... shrubs below windows where there is enough vertical distance, seasonal color framing the entrance area, a platform of groundcover surrounding the home, small trees, street trees (of which you can only see part of the canopy and their shadow at the foreground) and turf. Of course, you could add more plant interest in strategic areas in order to have more "spice," if desired.

Instead of asking me what all the plants are, make suggestions of what you think what might could be used to create those forms ...?

• rdbrya2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is very nice and definitely interesting as it was not at what I pictured happening in my mind. That is why I love to see other visions like yours. I was surprised to not see anything on either 2 sides of the concrete below the steps, yet I love the way your vision came out.

For the tallers trees on either end, I was thinking Magnolias (Little Gem and/or Japanese Magnolia or possibly Crepe Myrtle). For the bushes, I think Azaleas would go good. Maybe some Gardenias. For the ground cover I have no idea, I'll have to think about that. I always imagined just having some type of pine straw with the plants and not necessarily having large amounts of ground cover. I love the tree to the left where you have it. I had originally considered it more in front of that arched kitchen window. I really appreciate the mock up and giving me a completely different look to consider and work with!

Oh and as for the street trees, I had always imagined planting some nice Live Oaks there.

• rdbrya2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this was what I had always pictured in the front and then i could always keep something colorful there. do you think that is distracting and takes away from the front of the house to plant something right there?

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Yes. Especially since your actual entrance slab is smaller. The pink looks ok but the white is encroaching on the walk.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I appreciate your gratitude.

Of your plant choices, I think the Jap magnolia form, or equivalent, would make the better tree. Azaleas would be good. Gardenia can sometimes be uncooperative. I think you could add the extra color at front IF you open up the approach and make it more spacious. squeezing those plants next to the existing walk and steps would seem ankle-biting.

A mulched area does not seem like a finished product to me. Once it gets a little stale, it does not compare in beauty to an area that is lushly smothered in healthy plants. It might be easier and cheaper in the beginning, but that's about it.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting