Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annicade

ugly steep hillside; need help/ideas

Annicade
10 years ago

we live in PA and just built our home...we have an eyesore hillside in the back. we are going to be meeting with a few landscapers but wanted all of your professional garden web ideas too. we were first going to attempt crown vetch and did on the more graded nicely slopped part of hillside with not much coming up...we planted this past sept. take a look and tell me if you think more excavating /tree removal/ any good plants///etc... I don't want a fortune in it but would like a fix for a few years. I am tears over this eyesore. not what was intended from our builder/excavator.

Comments (15)

• Annicade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

from afar

• Annicade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nicer slope where crown vetch was planted....looks like hay is coming up

• Annicade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sideview

• Annicade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And front of house to give idea of background and soon need ideas of front landscape once the mess of a hillside is solved.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    10 years ago

What is your budget for the landscaping? Have you considered terracing the slope?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I think you might be overreacting to the construction uglies. When the earth's upholstery is removed and you see the springs and stuffing, it's not pretty. But once a fabric of plants covers the wounds, that it was ever an eyesore will quickly leave your thoughts. It's a matter of hydroseeding or planting some reasonable groundcover type plant. You will probably get some good suggestions from the local landscapers.

• lafleurs1
    10 years ago

Ask the professionals about heavy rains, erosion and the possiblity of needing a real retaining wall. Better to know now.

• Annicade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank u all. We have had soome heavy rains...hoping once we get something to grow itcwill help w less erosion...it hasnt been too bad. I can envision a wall in 5 years..our budget is tight right now...we need lots to do. Thank u ya4dvaark , u give me some hope and perspective. What ground covers would u recommend. And where do u get them. Only one lanscapershowed so far...not looking good. We could do a basic covering ourselves I need be to get the dirt look away.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I don't think you'd be looking for a tidy groundcover like one might have in a refined garden, but something a little more "wild" for that bank ... like lespedeza, grasses, wildflowers ... things that could be seeded. things with arching forms that look good cascading down hillsides. I would still push for suggestions from local landscapers. Make more calls. It would be helpful to know what is being used locally for hydroseeding banks.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Sat, May 11, 13 at 0:19

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Creeping rosemary is very nice. It works well on our hillsides, but I'd stay away from junipers! They do help to retain the soil, but they grow huge and overtake everything!

Some of our neighbors have some hot purple and orange ice plants that are beautiful! I discovered we have some too, but you'd never know because of the junipers.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Oh! I forgot! A lot of our hillside (1.4 acres) has railroad ties used as terraces. They are secured with rebar and are on their sides.

• bgaviator
    10 years ago

This is an ugly hillside I had to do something with. This is Chocolate Chip Ajuga. Each plant started off really tiny, after one season this is how big it's gotten. I don't think it can just be neglected though unless you get enough rainfall from mother nature. I do have to water them during dry spells, but they are giving an awesome flower show right now, and have grown like crazy. Not sure if this helps your situation or not.

• bgaviator
    10 years ago

Here it is in bloom now

• bgaviator
    10 years ago

This was mid-summer last year, first year of planting. The plants even started out much smaller than what you see here. They were just tiny plugs. Just trying to show you how fast they grew. I did find that they established better if I put them on a timed sprinkler in the morning, every other day. When I first planted them I didn't give them a lot of water, and many of the plugs wouldn't establish and would die out on me. Once I put them on a sprinkler they did much better for me.