Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Liriope Full Sun

Posted by johnstaci Z5/6 NW MO (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 1:41

Anyone have luck growing Variegated Liriope in full sun? I am in zone 6. Does it brown in the winter? Is there a variety of Variegated Liriope that does better in full sun?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Liriope Full Sun

It survives in full sun, maybe more successfully with "abundant moisture," which is not available in my yard, but to me it always looks fresher in part sun/shade. It will brown in the winter but put out new leaves, so whether to cut it back or not depends on how fastidious you are. If you look at some of the other liriopes, I think there are some more sun-tolerant, narrower-leaved, silvery types. You might be better off trying something else if you have a really hot sunny site. Groundcover Forum might help also.

o

I am in zone 8b and have some in a southern exposure that gets 7 hrs a day of hot sun. It does great! It is planted in good top soil on top of a plastic weed barrier. It gets a bit tattered in the winter but at least for me, does not get all brown. In the spring before new growth comes out, I clip off the old growth.

I also have some regular non-varigated liriope. I find the varigated liorpe much more interested. Its bright greenish yellow color really looks great with something dark red nearby - I have loropetalum. I also like the way it looks with bengal tiger cannas nearby.
Hope this helps!

o

I'm in Zone 7, it is grown all over the place here and does fine. I have mine planted in the sunny area between the road and sidewalk, I do give them a bit more water. I also have them in semi shade where they do fine too. They do look a bit "frumpy" in the winter though..., but come spring new leaves pop up and they look great again.

o

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Mon, May 10, 10 at 9:15

judith...I would contend we ALL look a little frumpy in January/February...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here