Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thunder_dd87

front yard design help!

thunder_dd87
9 years ago

Greetings!

I purchased this home late last year, and am now looking to make it less of an eye sore. I'm completely new to this and have little to no knowledge about this kind of thing, so any advice would be appreciated.

The photos below are from different stages of removing the weeds and other plants. I plan to start completely over.
Toward the right of the house, I'm thinking about planting hedges, especially to cover the stained brick (drives me crazy). Thoughts on those? I have been drawn to more colorful shrubs.

In front of the porch and to the left, I have no clue what to do with this area. As mentioned earlier, colorful is great.

Suggestions on what I should plant?

Zone: 7
House faces SW.

Comments (16)

• thunder_dd87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

potential hedge area

• thunder_dd87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

front of the porch

• thunder_dd87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

left side

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Please add the most important photo -- the one taken from farther back that shows the overall house face, some space at each end, and the whole front yard.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I think your potential hedge area does not have enough room for a hedge.

• thunder_dd87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The hedge area is about 34" deep.
    I will post more photos tomorrow! thanks everyone.

• thunder_dd87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yardvaark, what did you mean when you said "some space at each end?"

I took a bunch of photos. My house is a corner lot, so it is sort of awkward. Thinking about planting trees or hedges along the fence line as well. All just in my head thus far.

• thunder_dd87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another of the front.

This post was edited by thunder_dd87 on Thu, May 22, 14 at 20:33

• thunder_dd87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

closer view of the side.

• thunder_dd87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sort of the view you get driving past our house. Not really loving the curb appeal.

• thunder_dd87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another

• thunder_dd87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

along the fence.

• User
    9 years ago

thunder,
    I would definately plant a tree right in the middle of the front lawn. You probably get alot of sun most of the day there, and the tree would provide needed shade.
    You can plant a decideous tree now.
    Just not too close to the house, and get something that doesn't get too big.
    How much work are you willing to do?
    Seriously, are you one to work on your yard on the weekend no matter how hot it is?
    I would plant some evergreen shrubs where the brick drives you crazy, arborvitea globe comes to mind, but there are many others.
    Congrats on your house! It's beautiful!
    Remember, it will take years to get it to look perfect, and then you may change your mind and start over again....

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I would seriously consider widening the walkway approach as it turns toward the front door to the full width of space marked by posts. At minimum, back off the gardening in that area and return it to turf. It's very pinched with the beds closing in like they are.

• thunder_dd87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

butterfly, thanks for your input! When you say middle of the front yard, do you mean looking at the house straight away, or from the oncoming road--more toward the right of the house? And yes, I'm totally willing to work in the sun for hours. Suggestions on trees that won't get too large?

Yardvaark, wow, thanks! I never even thought of that but it makes perfect sense to widen the walkway from the mailbox up toward the house. It would definitely make it more inviting and less maze-like.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

There is so little room between the walk and the garage a tightly clipped architectural shrub might be your best bet near the corners. (A perennial that doesn't get too tall or sprawl is another possibility.) Here are a few more ideas...

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths