Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why my deck is steaming?

Posted by tiger_andy z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 8:04

I am wondering what is steaming out of my cedar wood deck. It's an old deck that is about 15 years old. I have observed steady steam coming out everywhere in every spring, usually in cool morning watched against the sun light. It looks like my deck is smoking. Does anyone know what it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why my deck is steaming?

Is the deck also in the sun? If so, it's usually that the sun is warming up the surface of the deck, causing whatever moisture is on top to evaporate. The same happens on our shed roof whenever it's sunny outside in winter.

- Audric

o

It is just water vapor. The deck either is absorbing water or accumulating some condensation on the surface, as Audric suggests. The heat of the sun (and warming daytime temperatures) causes the moisture to evaporate and it is visible in the form of vapor or 'steam'. Will happen on roofs, wooden fences and other wooden surfaces - all perfectly normal.

Very similar to seeing your breath on a cold day :-) Only that is a small cloud of fog that is created, because the water vapor in your breath is warmer than the atmosphere and condenses in the form of tiny little water droplets.

o

It could be on fire. get out there quick!

o

I agree with the others, it is water vapor that the deck absorbs overnight. If you haven't seen that in the past you might consider sealing it (if it's the kind of wood you seal periodically, that is).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here