Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sirspe_gw

Finally ready for landscape planning

sirspe
9 years ago

We bought our 1930 house and built on our addition. We leveled and seeded our lawn (with a sprinkler system) last Fall. Now we are ready to tackle landscaping and enjoying our yard.

We have a nice level lot (17,000 sq ft) on the end of a dead end street. Behind us is a currently unused wooden lot. To the left is shrub border. To the right is a wooden fence (behind another neighbor on a different street).

Our 'back' yard contains our septic system, so we have to be mindful of that when landscaping. But our large 'side' yard is pretty much wide open.

We live in Massachusetts in zone 6A (close to 6B).

We want a large large lawn for the kids to play. Possibly with a swingset. We want entertaining space beyond our 12 x 14 deck (Patio?). We want a vegetable/herb garden that is relatively low maintenance and won't attract pests. We want some natural cover for our A/C units in front of the addition; and something else that will block the pipes for our sprinklers.

We're considering fencing in the back (wooden?, composite?, natural?) and or the front. But we're a little worried about the cost of a such a long fence.

Also, while the sidewalk ends in front of our door, the town still owns the land where the sidewalk would have been (and where a fire hydrant is). We have the advantage of 8 feet of extra grass, but if we fence in the front, we'd likely set it back on our actual property. I'm not sure it's worth it.

We live in a residential neighborhood with very little traffic on our dead end. Occasionally, we get people turning around after a wrong turn -- as our neighborhood includes a cut-through between 2 busy streets.

We have no emotional attachment to the plants that are already there (other than they are already growing there).

Basically, we're considering everything & would love any ideas.

I have attached a few pictures, but I posted an interactive plan view with many more pictures here:
http://www.fastswf.com/BpWg0L8

Thank you to everyone in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: NEW Interactive Plan View (with Photos) 5/29

This post was edited by sirspe on Thu, May 29, 14 at 9:08

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

The only thing I see in either link is the same plan posted here. It would be better to select the key photos and paste them directly into the thread. You can do that by posting them individually (1 per post) directly from your computer, or you can paste their html share code (for each picture) obtained from the photo-hosting site, directly into the thread (multiple pictures per post. It's easiest if you first transfer the code to a Notepad note and, once you've gathered it all, into the thread.) If several codes are available and you're not sure which one to collect, try them in the Preview mode. The correct one will show up as a picture.

You might say how much privacy from the street you're trying to achieve in the side yard.

(Nice job on the introduction and plan!)

• sirspe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Yardvaark. You beat me to the punch. I was going to add photos here, too. Thanks for telling me that the site accepts 1 at a time... I would have guessed it would have allowed a little more than that.

Oh, and we're painting the house this summer -- likely some shade of gray, darker shutters and white trim. I don't know how much house color factors into landscaping recommendations, but the house will be one color.

As for the link... the plan view is the same, but there is navigation on the upper right -- click the <: photos:> to scroll through a 20 images and where they were taken. Also, you can mouse over a few things and uncover their labels - trees, fire hydrant, septic vent. And since it would be useful for me to see, you can revel the septic as-built overlaid.

Thanks!

This post was edited by sirspe on Tue, May 27, 14 at 13:42

• sirspe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another from the back corner.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

photos that would be useful is one like you have but squared up with the entrance, one that is squared up with the side yard and one taken from the deck looking toward the far, wooded side of the yard.

And say something about the privacy level sought.

• sirspe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the photo from straight on. (bummer about the electric poles.)

As for privacy, we don't get much traffic -- car or foot, as we're on a dead end.

To amend this post from earlier, we're thinking a white vinyl along the back for privacy, security, and to keep the kids in. And we're thinking of shrubs along the front as some natural fence.

As for privacy from in the house, the main windows are 5-7 feet above the ground, so I donâÂÂt think we need much privacy into the house (shades are fine for that).

This post was edited by sirspe on Sat, May 24, 14 at 23:44

• sirspe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the side yard from the front/street.

• sirspe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the Back yard from the back deck (towards the rear).
    It's only 40ft to the back, but 100-150 feet wide -- so you can't really get the sense of width while you're looking straight back. (And the septic trenches run along the back expanse.)

Has anyone got the original external link to work? You can view ALL of the photos there.

Thanks!

• sirspe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a closer shot of the front of the house...
    ... notice the sprinkler pipes that we'd like to block.

Otherwise, we want low maintenance that will look good year round.

Here is a link that might be useful: Interactive Plan View (with Photos) - Nav Buttons at the Top.

This post was edited by sirspe on Thu, May 29, 14 at 9:09

• sirspe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the other side from the front door. We have more depth to the addition -- about 40 feet to the addition.

Please not the front-of-the-house facing A/C units that we'd like to block (while still providing service access when needed).

Thanks again for any advice. Once again, I'm posting the link to the interactive plan view with many of these photos embedded

Here is a link that might be useful: NEW Interactive Plan View (with Photos) - Nav Buttons at the Top. 5-29

This post was edited by sirspe on Thu, May 29, 14 at 9:10

• sirspe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Updated the interactive link --- it's now resized to be easier to see. And I included the new images of the zoomed in front.

New (Larger) http://www.fastswf.com/gIb0IMA
    Original (Smaller): http://www.fastswf.com/BpWg0L8

Still looking for any advice or feedback,

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: NEW Interactive Plan View (with Photos) - Nav Buttons at the Top. 5-29

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

duplicate deleted

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Thu, May 29, 14 at 10:33

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I'm not obsessed about hiding foundations, but this is one of those houses where it might ought to be done because the foundation is strictly utilitarian looking. The down side is that it leans toward making the house look smothered or engulfed in planting. Because there are basement windows, I'd keep plants a decent distance from the wall (but it doesn't show up well. It's something to keep mind of.) With a lot of hedges, it could be a pain to maintain unless plants with limited heights are used. (Big leaf Hydrangea, Japanese spiraea, etc.)

I wish the walk to the steps was not shaped as it is. It should be the opposite shape, or just straight.

• sirspe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Yardvaark.
    I hadn't considered extending the existing front bed forward (as it seems you suggest), but I like it.

Just so I understand your depiction; the tree on the left side of your picture is a new small tree on the corner of the yard (near the driveway)? And the [beyond] tree you've hand-drawn off the right is a new tree to act as a bookend? Or is that referencing the existing tree that's off the screen?

Also, I see 2 shades of green "grass" on the left (on the lamp post side). Is that grass all gone? Or is the lighter green grass and the darker some other ground cover?

I like the green-to-yellow-to-orange-to-red. Are those other colors envisioned to be flowers or shrubs? And what kind would the be. (I know a little about composition, but nothing about identifying plants.

I appreciate it!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

The tree at left would be near the driveway. The tree "beyond" is a "bookend," as you described it, of sorts. If you look at the house from the right, the new addition has much blank wall so foundation shrubs are used and a tree (or more than one) are set off that side of the house.

At the front, the lighter green is grass and the darker is groundcover.

In general, the colors in my sketch are meaningless except to differentiate one plant from another. They are not intended to influence colors of plants you may use (even if they inspire you to lean in a particular direction.) With shrub selection, usually you're trying to first fulfill size and shape requirements. Leaf color and bloom color are usually less important in the hierarchy of requirements. Instead of me suggesting what plants to use, you might take the picture to a local garden center and get some suggestions for what will accomplish the goals shown in the picture and grows in your area. (You'll need to research the plants to make sure they don't get too large.) I'm giving you vague suggestions, but you have the task of transferring ideas to a plan, allocating space for plants and deciding on all the particulars of the arrangement. For example, I show a tall shrub immediately to the right of the steps. (It looks like it's behind a lower shrub and annuals, this being 2-D.) I envisioned that not in line with the steps, but set deeper into the picture field. At that location there is a lot of blank wall on the house so the height restriction is not set by windows or any such feature, but by the eaves or maybe even something higher. (I can't see that space.) But you're there and you can toy with the idea of a small (12' to 15' ht.) tree in that space or a large shrub since there is room for it to grow tall. You don't need to be limited by the exact suggestion I showed in the sketch. (A 'Carlesii' viburnum comes to mind for that spot, however!) There are really no plants to identify in the sketch. It's a matter of learning and deciding what plants could do the things shown. There might be many possibilities to choose from. (But be mindful of my earlier remark about heights and trimming.)

To add clarity to your above questions, I'm showing those things marked up in the plan. (I didn't color in all the bed, though) ...

• sirspe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The mock up on the plan view really helps.

Any sense where a vegetable garden should go? (or can't go?)

Any opinions about the small trees lining the right end of the yard? Keep 'em? Lose 'em? Incorporate them in some way?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

A veg. garden must go where there is the most sun and away from tree roots. That spot is probably not too far from the street and in the open lawn area. You said you might want to screen that area with a hedge, so behind (as from street view) that hedge.

... "trees lining right end of the yard?" ... If you're inquiring about the wooded area, what are you trying to achieve? If mine, I would prefer fewer, beefier trees than allowing every spindly sapling to exist. And then, a higher "ceiling" with more light coming in on what's below. And then, solid groundcover ... so as to be looking at green on the "floor" instead of brown. (Groundcover also "eats" fallen leaves so there is not raking or mulching.) Then, plantings at the perimeter which screen neighboring properties. Those plantings could be shade tolerant shrubs, or vines on stretched wires between posts.