Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Design challenge - hide a huge stump

Posted by gayled 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 9:25

This is the view from our enclosed porch. It is the tail end of a100' raised border that spans the rear of our property. The tree is a stewartia, next to it is a crooked hinoki which I can easily move. There are hostas just emerging - also can be moved. Tuff Stuff hydrangea (lacecap) with a few fake alliums (I like a little whimzy in my garden). I'm stumped! Just not sure how to hide this. The orientation is north, however it is in the rear of the garden so it does receive some southern sun. It backs up to woodland. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Design challenge - hide a huge stump

Why not expand the hosta planting toward the back, coming as close to the stump as possible? They would hide it.

o

• Posted by junco Augusta, GA z8 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 14 at 10:12

Put a small fern in the center of the stump--they'll grow and hide it until the stump disintegrates.

o

I've got a few of those (stumps) and ferns are good for hiding - I'd go with junco's suggestion. You've probably got ostrich or other native ferns you could dig up and transplant from your woodland area.

The stump really isn't a bad feature - you could even front it with more hosta in keeping with what you've already gotten started .

o

Paint it pink, and put the alliums in the middle.

Cut it flat, and use it as a base for sculpture. Something like an Alice in Wonderland mushroom, maybe.

Instead of trying to hide it, I'd definitely use an SEP field.

o

Yews will grow in part shade if you want something to hide it year-round. Rhododendron PJM is tough and also semi-evergreen.

Camouflage paint in dark brown (it's very non-reflective) could also help hide it, especially if you planted ivy or another ground cover that would cover it in time. It blends really well with most dirt, but is likely darker than your mulch so you'd probably want to test it on the back.

o

Cut the stump. Put a table on top of it, chairs around. Got it?
Suzi

o

If your not going to have it grinded down, understandable, because it is expensive... you should at least get some 1inch x 12 inch drill bits and drill holes strategically around the stump and then use stump rot potasium nitrate, urine (seriously..), manure, or other organic materials... in about 2 years the whole thing will be crumbling apart.

The more ideal way is to put kerosine in the holes and burn it, but it's too close to those other trees and probably your house for you to do that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Stump Natural Removal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here