Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paver bricks off of cement pad

Posted by ceeshrek Minnesota (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 9:36

Hi,

We are in the process of landscaping our backyard. It is completely bare now. We are planning to layout a 16x12 patio with paver bricks next to the patio door.

The house has a small (4 x 3) concrete pad outside the patio door.

One option is to build the brick patio next to the cement pad. That is, step out of the house onto the cement pad and then walk onto the paver bricks.
The other option is to rip the pad out and lay the paver patio right next to the house.

There is some cost to removing the pad. We are also concerned about settling issues and potential water seepage issues if we have the bricks right next to house. The flip side is aesthetics.

Hope the landscape design gurus here can weigh in on this: (1) rip out the pad or (2) lay the bricks next to the pad.

Thanks immensely.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paver bricks off of cement pad

Some things depend on you, and how you prioritize things. At my house, with a to-do list that will keep me busy till I'm 130, ripping up a perfectly good pad that covers an area I want covered anyway would come pretty low on my list of options. But I have flexible aesthetics; other people live and die by them. On the other hand, function is important to me - I've vacuumed water out of my basement. So me, I'd keep the pad and lay the bricks beside it. The fact that this part at least would be less vulnerable to frost heave, which I assume is an issue in your area and which the pad has withstood, would also be a motivating factor.

You can select your bricks (shape and colour) and make a pattern that incorporates, highlights, or disguises the pad - circles around it, a patch of grey that mimics it, etc. You can also consider etching or staining the concrete. But jackhammering it, loading it, hauling it to recycling, unloading it... my back has only so many lifts in it, and those aren't any I'd plan to do. But, your mileage may vary, as they say.

If you make the bricks adjoining, you will have to carefully compact the soil under the adjoining bricks and be very fussy about getting the level right, and of course manage the slope of the whole to channel water to a place where you want it to go. You might even have to be prepared to do some corrective work with the level in coming years as the patio settles/heaves. If you're not a fussy kind of person, but rather one who enjoys jackhammering and hauling concrete chunks, that may be another inducement to remove the pad instead.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here