Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellynoelle_gw

Landscaping around a septic mound

kellynoelle
17 years ago

I'm purchasing a new house at the end of May and it comes with a septic mound in the backyard - this is totally new to me. The mound takes up over half of the backyard, and the back and side slopes of the mound meet the property line. I'm installing a 6 ft. fence around the property. I'm trying to figure out what I can plant at the bottom/end of the side and back slopes of the mound up against the fence. I don't think mowing the sides of the mound is going to be easy due to the fence, and i'd like to make it blend in. Can I plant ornamental grass or evergreen trees (like green giants) for privacy or is that not a good idea due to the mound? I was told not to plant bamboo or trees that have spreading root systems (like maple trees or willows). Is it acceptable/advisable to put a retaining wall along one side of of the mound and backfill with dirt? Are any plants/trees/shrubs a good idea or bad idea to plant around/near the septic mound? Can anything be planted on the mound such as hostas or other low root system plants? I've read/heard that you shouldn't plant food items on the mound, how far away should I plant a vegetable and herb garden?

Any advice or help with septic mounds and landscaping would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comment (1)