Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkgarber

Magnolia or Birch - opinions please

dkgarber
13 years ago

I also posted this in the trees forum, but I figured I'll run it by you follks, as there are so many valuable opinions and suggestions in this forum:

I have a large island bed in my front yard with a sandcherry tree which is nearing the end of its life. Part of me is kind of happy b/c I don't really like the tree-its ratty, overplanted in my area and looks horrible by june b/c the japanese beetles absolutely decimate it. This is probably the last year I'll keep it b/c half of the tree has stopped leaving out and is not looking so great. I felt bad ripping it out when healthy.

I love river and paper birch trees, as well as magnolias and would like to plant one of these in its place. I know the Magnolias can't get quite large, so am considering a dwarf tree. My lot is about an acre, and my house is a 2 story colonial, to put things in scale.

The shade from a large tree would be welcome, as the grass in the front gets scorched b/c we can't water here. The only grass I can succesfully grow is, beleive it or not, under my pines. I don't really put much resources into my lawn, as its a waste of space in my opinion.

Both trees are beautiful but I am torn. I like the winter interest of the birch, but the spring show the magnolia puts on is amazing.

The area will get sun all day (from dawn-dusk). Any opinions??

The rest of the bed is mixed plantings, with some knock out rose bushes. I'd like to get more and create a rose garden.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County