Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia or Birch - opinions please

Posted by dkgarber MASS (6a) (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 9:50

I also posted this in the trees forum, but I figured I'll run it by you follks, as there are so many valuable opinions and suggestions in this forum:

I have a large island bed in my front yard with a sandcherry tree which is nearing the end of its life. Part of me is kind of happy b/c I don't really like the tree-its ratty, overplanted in my area and looks horrible by june b/c the japanese beetles absolutely decimate it. This is probably the last year I'll keep it b/c half of the tree has stopped leaving out and is not looking so great. I felt bad ripping it out when healthy.
I love river and paper birch trees, as well as magnolias and would like to plant one of these in its place. I know the Magnolias can't get quite large, so am considering a dwarf tree. My lot is about an acre, and my house is a 2 story colonial, to put things in scale.

The shade from a large tree would be welcome, as the grass in the front gets scorched b/c we can't water here. The only grass I can succesfully grow is, beleive it or not, under my pines. I don't really put much resources into my lawn, as its a waste of space in my opinion.

Both trees are beautiful but I am torn. I like the winter interest of the birch, but the spring show the magnolia puts on is amazing.

The area will get sun all day (from dawn-dusk). Any opinions??

The rest of the bed is mixed plantings, with some knock out rose bushes. I'd like to get more and create a rose garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia or Birch - opinions please

I'm confused. With an acre, it sounds like you could plant (a) both of the trees you like and (b) a full-size magnolia if you choose that option - all you have to do is expand your thinking beyond the boundaries of the flower bed.

That aside, growing conditions strike me as being of paramount importance and would seem to me to suggest neither of these trees, unless you find a way to water with grey water, which I've been doing for years and can vouch for.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here