Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_619

Lakehouse Landscape Design Help

jeff_619
10 years ago

Below is a photo of my current yard. I have worked hard for the past several years to get it in the shape it is. I recently removed a large pine tree and am looking for suggestions for what to replace it with (if anything.) I am open to planting beds, gazebos, etc.

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• jeff_619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another photo. You can see the limits of my property.

• jeff_619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Jeff, you mention removing a large pine but don't tell us where it was. Or what you think you'd like to do with the huge lawn. Beautiful home and setting. And a great playground for the doggies.

Consider views from inside. Don't think you'll want to block them.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

What lies to the right, in the forested area behind the boat house ... 40' or 50' from the water where we can't see? Is that all just natural forested area? If so, you might consider placing a wide, low shrub border to its edge that would follow the curve established by the bed edge, but set back from it about 15' .... I'm thinking near the edge of the wooded portion. A single variety of gumpo azaleas or some such thing. 3 or 4 rows deep just to dress up the edge of the forest and give it a little color during bloom time. It would seem preferable to have groundcover as the actual bed, instead of just mulch. On the opposite side of the yard where there is the lone tree, I could see a similar planting that mirror images what the right side is doing. Also, you could stand to add some large splashes of annual color somewhere. Like a big bed of coleus. It looks a little needy in that department.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Tue, May 7, 13 at 8:34

• jeff_619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Yardvaark. Yes, that is natural area to the right. Here is a plan showing kind of showing my "blank canvas!"

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

My earlier picture might translate into something along these lines.

• jeff_619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. Below are some more photos of what the yard looks like from the deck towards the water. It might help with other ideas and to give insight to what is the left hand side (opposite of the natural area.)

• jeff_619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking towards the center of the yard:

• jeff_619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking to the opposite side of the existing natural area. You can see where I have some yard sand in place trying to level out some low spots.

• jeff_619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking down steps by bushes. Not sure if I want to keep these bushes? Also, you can see landscaping mesh in place where I am trying to get some grass to grow.

• jeff_619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Side by steps that needs some work. This area doesn't have much grass but I think I can get it to grow. That's our garden in the distance.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Jeff, you haven't reacted to the suggestions I've presented, which tells me I'm done here. But how would anyone else know what tack to take if you don't give any specific feedback?

• jeff_619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yardvaark, thanks and good point. I do like the idea of mirroring the existing natural area on the right with something on the left hand side. However, from time to time, I need to bring a vehicle down the hill to the boathouse and I use the road that comes from the left hand side (when looking at the house from the water.) I thought about having a small area around one of the lower trees to accomplish that. Below is what I have thought about. Also, I really don't want to add bushes to the natural area to the right because I am concerned with attractive snakes. That is kind of the reason I have avoided using ground cover.

• jeff_619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On the photo, I have shaded my idea. You can kind of see the road that I am talking about.

Also, I would like to mention that my wife suggested adding a planting area down by the water - in the area between the old pine stump and the seawall. I have kind of leaned in that direction. We have a nice Jelly palm that we could plant there . What do you think? This is it - - >

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Jeff, the prohibitions you've imposed and the desires you have might work together to make sure that you DO NOT develop a nice, scale-appropriate landscape treatment. (I'm not saying what I've proposed is the exact solution as it's based primarily on photo-views, and not as much on specific knowledge of property use and layout ... which is where you must interpret, decipher and correct.) If you want your large yard to look nice from a distance, I think it will require a sizeable amount of shrubs, groundcover and some colorful annuals/perennials. If a fear of snakes is sufficient to prevent adding these plants, then you must accept the idea that your property will always appear somewhat plain and "needy" in terms of plantings. With lawn and mulch only at the ground level, you're not going to be able to present a "vacation retreat" appearance. The palm might be fine to add, but by itself seems a drop in the bucket for what you need. How nice looking are you expecting to achieve?

Not sure exactly what you are trying to depict with the bed line drawn around the tree. You might need to show a photo which explains that area better and describe better what it is you're drawing.

People don't usually walk in shrub and groundcover areas. If snakes come, they usually don't like to be exposed so keep out of the open areas. It's pretty easy for people to avoid snakes who might be around. And it's pretty easy for snakes to avoid people. For myself, I'd try to encourage (by importing if necessary) non-poisonous species of snakes that are known to drive off poisonous types. (There is no better rodent remover than any type of snake!) I know it's nearly futile trying to get people who fear snakes to accept their presence in the vicinity, so that's about all I'll offer on it.