Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need suggestions for Privacy screening Cape Cod

Posted by sandyinva 7A (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 10:22

I am trying with little success to sell the house my dad left me in East Dennis. Biggest complaint from potential buyers is that the backyard is not private. I am thinking about planting Leylands, but they could get too large for the area. Should I even care?

Would that be something a potential buyer would want? What other shrubs, preferably evergreen, would work ? I was thinking of some sort of holly or although not evergreen, a hedge of limelights.

Just want to get this place sold!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need suggestions for Privacy screening Cape Cod

I would think a new owner would want to choose their own privacy plantings. Could you perhaps include an allowance for purchases at a local garden center as an incentive? I would think there must be some other problem (on a busy road perhaps, or an outdated interior in need of upgrades...?) because privacy plantings would be an easy fix for a new owner. While a potential purchaser might use the lack of privacy as a bargaining chip, I wouldn't expect it to be a deal-killer if the house is otherwise suitable and attractive....

o

Couldn't of said it any better than Woodyoak.

Include a noted discount allowance for landscaping in your offer. The new owner might decide to install a fence or lattice screening or landscaping .

If you do plant some shrubs I would be more inclined to plant some native shrubs such as Cornus sericea, spirea, vaccinium, Juniper virginiana, ferns, and possibly a few Cornus floridas.

Mahoneys or Cape Cod Nursery are both good sources. I'm a little partial to Mahoneys due to long time loyalty and in the past have had a great selection of hydrangeas and roses that have performed well at our S.Yarmouth cottage.

o

I would avoid planting anything at this point. As sure as you do, a potential buyer will not like what you've selected. That you are being told "lack of privacy is the problem" may not be the problem at all. People seem to frequently look for ways to avoid telling the truth. They might not like the house for some other reason, but latch on to any easy and obvious excuse. Everyone would know that they could plant any privacy screen they wished so, as Woody says, it would not be a deal-breaker. Why not invite someone knowledgeable about real estate, who will be honest, to visit the house and get their unvarnished feedback? Landscaping is what a person should employ early on--right after they buy a house--to get the biggest, exponential bang for their buck. With the exception of adding a few annuals, it's not cost effective at the end of home ownership.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Sat, May 18, 13 at 19:45

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here