Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using railroad ties as a driveway border

Posted by MickeyM1449 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 10:22

I have a gravel driveway that is about 650' long. I am hoping to line the sides of that driveway with Railroad Ties between the gravel and the grass. Ideally, I would simply like them buried to be level with the driveway or maybe an inch or two above grade to help keep my gravel in the driveway area instead of in my grass.

I am looking for suggestions on the best (easiest) way anyone knows to install these railraod ties. I have a 35 HP tractor with a front loader and a John Deere Gator 6x4 UTV. I could rent any implement that could go behind my tractor or anything that could be pulled by my Gator.

Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated! I am in North Mississippi.

-Mickey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using railroad ties as a driveway border

If you're open to renting something, just rent a mini-excavator with a bucket slightly wider than the ties and be done with it. I can't see any attachments for the tractor making sense unless they happen to have a backhoe attachment (and even at that it won't be as efficient as a mini-ex)

o

I didnt think of that. I have no experience with an excavator. I wonder if there is a narrow bucket i could put on the front of a bobcat? Something that would allow me to drive in a forward direction...

o

something 18" or so wide? Some contractor may have fabricated one for himself here or there, but I doubt you'll find it at a rental yard. Running a mini-ex is pretty easy. Just assume you'll be slow and get it for the week. After a couple days you'll be looking around your property for holes to dig.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here