Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Full shade area looking for bush or small tree

Posted by bando165 Ohio 6a (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 10:45

My front landscape area is about 13 feet wide and 9 feet deep. Most of the area is full shade, getting sun only very late in the day. I have two windows in front of my house and I would like to have something to plant in front of the window that is about 6-8 feet tall to provide some privacy. Currently we have a weeping cherry of some sort but its a the front of the landscape and is rather large and had been neglected for years before we moved in. The tree blocks everything behind it and thus we have removed everything else. We have decided to take the tree out as well as the only thing I really like about it is the privacy it provides to the front windows. I talked to our local nursery briefly and they suggested a hydrangea tree which are quit pricey (especially since this is only a small project of several we have). I love hydrangeas but I'm afraid they won't have enough sun. Any suggestions are appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Full shade area looking for bush or small tree

Here is the area.

o

Your photo didn't show. If you make changes in the preview text you need to reload the photo.

o

Need to see a pic, but I would first bring in an arborist and see if the cherry tree can be trimmed/shaped so that it is more appealing.
Instead of hiding your windows and house with bushes & trees, have you considered window treatments that will allow you to control the light and privacy?

o

Usually a neglected weeping cherry is beyond redemption - too many disease issues, too many graft failures. Not worth the effort for two weeks of flowers :-)

The type of hydrangeas trained into tree forms are paniculatas (eg. PeeGee) - these are the most sun tolerant of all the hydrangeas and flowering will be greatly reduced if in too much shade.

I'd look at a standard (tree form) dappled willow - Salix integra 'Hakuro Nikishi' - or a dwarf Japanese maple. There are dozens that will stay within your height requirements (would it hurt to get taller?), they appreciate shade and most have a very sculptural form that makes an attractive visual screen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here