Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foundation shrubs

Posted by Mark91 7a MD (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 11:37

I'll be moving into a new home shortly and the current foundation shrubs are overgrown, spaced, and trimmed unevenly. I was thinking of pulling them up and replacing them with winter gem boxwoods or something similar. My fiance however wants something that will flower in the spring/summer yet retain its leaves during the winter. The area in which they will be planted is partial to full shade. Will rhododendrons remain full in the winter or is there a better option? I surely don't want barren shrubs along my foundation. Your opinions are greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foundation shrubs

I think you're on the right track with your original idea. Winter Gem Boxwood would grow well and be neat and tidy.

I'd plant herbaceous perennials in front of the hedge for color. One of my new favorites is heuchera 'caramel', which keeps its leaves and color through the winter here.

o

In Maryland, I'd expect a good percentage of the houses would have either rhododendrons or evergreen azaleas as foundation plantings on the north side. Just take a few walks and look. If people are out working in the yard you can ask if they know particular cultivar names.

o

Many shrubs can be rejuvenated and reshaped. I think I'd want to know what I now had before I started digging.

o

Evergreen azaleas would do what you want.

I am in love with winter gem boxwood, though. Compared to them, all other boxwood is an enormous disappointment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here