Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting over a french drain

Posted by mazelady Tx (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 11 at 11:41

Along the side of my house is a concrete border. Between the border and the house is about 3 feet covered with a thin layer of large gravel. I think there is a french drain underneath because the gutter drains into a black plastic drainpiece sticking out of the ground. There is some dirt under the gravel.

I want to plant New Gold Lantana over it(the kind that doesn't spread like crazy).

Would this cause problems for the drain? Should I plant something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting over a french drain

It's difficult for anyone to know what is under the gravel since it may be a french drain or it may be solid abs pipe. If you really think there's a french drain there, I think the safe option is to use planters or pots and place them on top of the gravel.

Otherwise, you'll need to do some digging to figure out what is below the gravel, and based on the depth of a drain contractors buried at our previous home, you may have to dig down 3+'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here