Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sniteiu

Corner of Backyard - Forsythia & Limelight Hydrangeas?

sniteiu
11 years ago

I realize pictures would be helpful, but don't have one snapped to upload at the moment (will try to do later this evening). Looking at suggestions for landscaping a corner in my backyard. There are currently three large forsythia (approx 5.5'-6' tall and 3'-3.5' wide) shrubs arranged in a triangle...two up front and one in the back near the corner of where a privacy fence will be going in this summer.

Currently considering planting 3-5 dwarf variety (little lime) hydrangeas in front of the forsythia that will create a hedge as they grow in. The hydrangeas would be flanked by some kind of large ornamental grass on each end (I'm thinking variegated miscanthus, maybe).

My main concern is that the limelight hydrangea foliage will be too similar to the forsythia in both color and shape, so the corner may look too "blah" for most of the summer until the hydrangeas start blooming. I was initially considering full size limelights (vs dwarf variety) in the corner as the focal point, with boxwoods in the foreground, but got a great deal on the forsythia and felt the need to get them into the ground earlier this spring.

Thoughts/suggestions on either idea? I'm stuck on whether or not I should relocate the forsythia or leave it, which ultimately keeps me at bay from making any decision on the hydrangea and finishing off this corner of the yard. Thanks in advance for your comments!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals