Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Revitalize colored wood mulch

Posted by lambsydivy Wisconsin (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 11:49

This might like a stupid question, but here goes. I have a small back yard with a LARGE blue spruce in it. The ground under the tree refuses to grow any decent grass, so I have covered it with red colored wood mulch. Problem is, that it fades fast. That, and the fact that the tree drops so many needles over the winter/spring that you can hardly see the red. Instead of redoing or even topping off the mulch every year, would it be practical/possible to get a gallon of red deck stain and spray it over the top of the existing mulch and needles? Has anyone ever tried this, and how does it work (if it does)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Revitalize colored wood mulch

Probably not exactly what you want to hear - easiest way to deal with red mulch (the Garden Design Forum participants don't have a real high regard for red mulch; maybe second only to the regard for tree circles) is to cover it over with a natural colored more earth toned mulch. Although all mulches disappear and need topping off over time, the earth tones look better longer.

However, if you have to have blue floating in a sea of red, replenish the red mulch with more red mulch as it fades - not a gallon of deck stain. Why choke a perfectly good conifer? I'd be afraid, over time using deck stain, the tree would probably match the mulch. :-)

o

Yes, I think you'd poison both yourself and the tree doing that.

I agree with Duluth. Dropping needles is what trees do, and a mulch that is the colour of the needles and other natural materials will work best. Indeed, I suspect the tree is actually self-mulching, its needle drop probably covering the ground enough to keep all grass and weeds suppressed and things looking fairly uniform.

If it's not crisp-looking enough for you that way, brick or stone edging of some sort might make it more acceptable to you.

KarinL

o

I feel like a bad person for even posting the link, but they make a product specifically for this task.

Here is a link that might be useful: If you must...

o

This is an easy one, but that spruce through a LARGE chipper and spread the chips out over the painted mulch in an attractive heap, permanent ugly.

o

BarkBrite. Ya gotta love it when necessity is the mother of invention. What we need now is FlowerTint for those color combo disasters...

o

Marcinde, I really admire you for even knowing about that stuff! Very open-minded of you.

As for the initial question, Lambsydivy, it's not a stupid question to ask how certain landscape effects are achieved. People are just quibbling with the landscape design value of the effect you are after. Some people are open to having their choices questioned, others not so much.

Hope you find something useful; you're not getting responses by email but I hope you are not discouraged from checking back and also reading around the forum a bit more.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here