Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms642

Need Design Help!

ms642
10 years ago

I have this section in the front of my house that I'd like to change up a bit.
I wanted to put in a small weeping cherry and I have some extra shrubs that I could use (small juniper)

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

The present arrangement seems too "cute" and and a bit fussy ... more like plant collecting than landscaping. Seems like too small a space for a weeping cherry. But if you must have it, 1/3 of the distance from the left bed edge might be its most hopeful position. If you were landscaping, I think you would use something low growing (similar to what is near each front corner of the bed) and just fill the bed with it. The only other thing it might need is some dependable blooming annuals next to the steps. Or you might place annuals at each end of the bed. Or you might do low growing annuals in the whole bed, changing them whenever they become spent. Overall, I think the bed would be improved if the retaining wall blocks were removed and the soil lowered. Even removing the top row would help, since those blocks retain nothing.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Too many plants in sets of twos.

Are those two dwarf Alberta spruces?

I'd put one spruce off the the left hand side then make an arch of three medium height shrubs along the back (possibly you could achieve this by leaving the two golden toned shrubs in the back and adding a third shrub of the same type in the spot currently in between the two spruces). Possibly place the two boxwoods in front of/wrapped around the single spruce. Fill in front with lower shrubs and perennials/annuals. Put othe spruce some other location.
    ETA: I'd put the boxwoods on the opposite side if the spruce. Maybe a single boxwood.
    I agree the blocks are too high.

This post was edited by trovesoftrilliums on Sun, May 5, 13 at 17:14

• ms642
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didnt like the symmetrical look i had going on which wa my main concern.
    I want to get rid of the two small green shrubs on the ends and the two spruces in the middle.
    What are some perennials i can use for the front?
    If I get rid of that retaining wall what can border off that area with. I dont want mulch flying around everywhere.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Daffodils and day lilies would be an easy combination, pick a long blooming day lily like Stella d'oro.

There are tons of interesting perennials you could plant--but it's all a matter of what you enjoy, how much maintenance you do, etc. I'd want some iris, hardy geraniums, maybe phlox...but I love a lot of color and don't mind having plants in the garden going in and out if bloom. For such a visible entry way, you might want to focus on long blooming perennials. Maybe St. John's wort, sedums, even short grasses. Hardy geraniums can be quite long blooming as well.

The two small shrubs look like boxwoods. Did they stay green over winter? I'd keep them for winter color but consider moving them.

The shrubs you have offer interesting range if green. I'd tend toward keeping them but creating something less symmetrical and group some plants in 3s instead of 2s.

I'd keep one layer of the retaining wall.