Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to prevent graying of IPE, ?Tung oil

Posted by jillyluis 6A (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 12:24

Hi,
We just installed a beautiful IPE floor to our porch. I love the color and don't want it to gray. We were going to use Tung oil to finish it, but I called the company and it doesn't have any UV protection. What have other's experience been with tung oil and Ipe over time? Any other suggstions for finishing?
If it does gray, doesn't it work to power wash it off?
Thanks a lot
Jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to prevent graying of IPE, ?Tung oil

We've used Messmers UV plus and Flood products on the Ipe and redwood decks that we build .
Even with the extra UV protection , it has to be re-applied yearly to keep that beautiful deep rich look.

I apply tung oil every spring to my Indonesian teak wood furniture. This furniture is under a wisteria covered arbor and is taken in or covered during our wet winter months - it definitely is fades by December.

photos : deck with Messmers and teak furniture with tung oil application -

From pina colada may 5,2013

o

Sorry, I feel like I should know this, but when you reapply the products, does the gray go away?
Thanks
Jill

o

product will not make gray go away. Must clean down to natural colored wood first.

o

Here is how you make the gray go away. Get some CLR, and apply it straight on an inch for a test. Brush hard. Rinse. Gray gone! It will take a lot of CLR for an entire deck, but the stuff works!

We do that to our Teak Furniture prior to sealing, but for an entire deck? We love and accept the gray!

Have fun!
Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here