Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Still Save Colorado Spruce?

Posted by karinmarie (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 10 at 12:42

We have been so busy working on the interior of our house that the landscape has been very neglected! Yesterday I noticed that one of our huge Colorado Spruces is looking very sickly. A lot of the really low branches on the back side of the tree are dead and it seems to be turning brown. I also do not see any candling on this tree which I understand if that is present it means the tree is healthy. We have hideous clay soil but when these were planted we put a lot of peat moss and good top soil in. Is there anything I can do to try to save it now? It is one of six in our back yard...the rest are doing fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Still Save Colorado Spruce?

Is the area that is turning brown in someway being distressed by lack of sun or space? Are the others candeling when they should? When was it planted? Can you post pictures of this one as well as the others? Sometimes there is winter kill to one and not the others, it could be that. Or it could be a combination of that and wind. The soil although ammended as you say can be a factor. However I am assuming the others are doing fine in the same type of soil. Just wondering if this particular one has different light, heat, moisure exposure.

o

As Stormz4 said, if they CS is shaded out it drops those needles, as they are not productive any longer. A picture or a description of the setting would be helpful.

If the CS's are in a row then lower branches can be shaded out by their neighbours.

o

Thanks for your help...I need to figure out how to get the photos on here. They are in a row but this one is no more shaded than the others. I read that if they are planted too deep that can casue the lower branches to drop needles too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here