Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondbucket

Recommendation on Hedge to Screen

pondbucket
13 years ago

I have a unique situation that invites many questions so I thought I would post here (first time posting on Landscape Design).

Most of my landscaping is borders with edging and low plants except for fountain grasses and trees. I try to add color with annuals otherwise it is only a rose bed or two that add colors other than greens.

[IMG]http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz286/pondbucket_photos/IMG_8130.jpg[/IMG]

I'm interested in adding a shrub hedge in a very narrow strip of yard between my short gravel drive/parking that comes off a busy street and my ornamental lily pond that is almost directly in front of the parking and at the side of the cottage/house. I have a small stone-lined rim around the lily pond currently and this is where I wish to place the hedge to screen a part of the lily pond. (Actually, I'm more interested in screening the car's front bumper from the pond).

[IMG]http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz286/pondbucket_photos/IMG_8131.jpg[/IMG]

So, I'm curious for suggestions.

Other data:

Near Kansas City, USDA zone 5, some zone 6 plants overwinter esp. near buildings.

Sun: an ever enlarging canopy from a nearby maple tree is stealing direct sun. Right now it's high shade in the area. Some direct at sunrise and sunset but not more than 2 hrs.

Adjacent garden soil: 7 - 7.5 pH (recently tested, this is reasonable as most of the soils around here are fertile but high pH)

Current Soil: raised due to pond edge and loose-laid stone walk; very rocky underneath but I will remove and ammend as needed.

Width: Need something NARROW. There's only about 3.5' to work with to keep a little circulation around a parked car or pond edge.

Height: looking for somthing that is atleast 3' and maybe taller if it can keep its dense-ness. Something 4-5' would work too, I plan to trim.

I think it would be best if it was something that could keep form and leaves/branches year 'round for screening purposes... so maybe evergreen, I know that I have boxwood shrubs in the front yard's garden and they do very well except the sun is different.

I've thought about a holly but worry about the fullness especially as it grows taller. Boxwoods, I wonder if there is enough sun. Laurels, do they do okay in high shade? I think most Junipers, which grow gangbusters around here, are too big. Other evergreens too spreading/arching for the location.

What would you suggest?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists