Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stamped concrete

Posted by brodyjaws zone 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 12:55

I just had a new $15,000 stamped concrete job done. the color was off after they sealed it so they just threw release on top and resealed that area. looks like crap. can i strip and reseal myself?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stamped concrete

After spending *that* much money to have it done, I sure wouldn't be doing anything myself. The job should be completed to *your* liking for what you paid. ;o)

o

The installer needs to either strip off the original sealer and use stains and colorants to tweak what's there, or show up with a jackhammer to remove and repour at his expense. Installing stamped concrete that doesn't look cheap takes skill. Fixing a crap job takes even more skill. I wouldn't recommend it for a first timer, especially on a $15k job. Yikes, get what you paid for.

o

sealing concrete is the bane of most concrete contractors ( and designers) existence.
That is why you might have a look at your contract to see the paragraph about coloration and small hair line cracks. It is usually standard info about the non preciseness of color and the natural nature of concrete to hair line crack.

As someone who has a few years of experience in this field I would not recommend that you do anything to the concrete surface yourself.
Work with your contractor.
If he won't respond then hire a highly respected concrete finisher to take a look at your concrete.

There are so many variables that it would make your head spin and along with all those variables ( type of concrete/ powder colorant/ liquid colorant/ penetrating sealer/ non pen. sealer/ shiny/ satin/ release agents/ multiple types of strippers specific for different types of concrete and the pour ..... )

At 15 K you probably have around 900 to 1000 square ft . That's a lot of coverage . Try working with the original contractor first, especially if he is someone who knows his business. If all fails then go to a reputable finisher.
They'll figure out how to solve the problem the best way possible and safely ( this is not a non toxic fix )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here