Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petuniaxyz

Plastic in New Jersey

petuniaxyz
11 years ago

Here in NJ we favor plastic over wood. Our homes are sided in vinyl and our fences are made of the same material. My neighbor�s fences surround two sides of my zone 6a backyard.

I now have 54 feet on my left side and 60 feet across my back yard of 6ft white vinyl privacy with lattice on top. I also have an 8x10 "plastic" shed in the left corner where the two fences meet. I told you we go for plastic in NJ!

Does anyone have photos of their backyard enclosed by this type of very "white" fence? I would like to plant a shrub border on both sides of the yard. My computer searches yield only exterior shots of this type of fence. Surely there are photos of a landscaped yard I can look at.

My yard gets full sun. My only tree is a 50 year old red maple, which is not plastic. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (16)

• reyesuela
    11 years ago

Can't offer you shots, but as long as you don't try to go super naturalistic, it should be fine.

The main reason that I don't like white fencing in most circumstances is that it makes a space seem smaller, and if you don't hide it completely, it becomes a design element.

• designoline6
    11 years ago

I can image some pics of their backyard enclosed by this type of very "white" fence.their shape must match your yard.I always need to make modification of the shape many times.This is very my different than other designers.I prefer to add my ideas on the photos.
    You don't believe those words please:
    go local nursery,library,google.any designing(process) aren't necessary.every designers are fool.Because they spend so much money and time (at lest 5 years) to study millions pics from billions pics.I don't understand why do they stay "design" forum so long time.
    I suggest you post some the yard pics that show the context and situated and conditions(They are not too close up.
    a panoramic shot is good).
    first upload photo to any photo-hosting site.Photobucket and Flickr are examples . While at that photo on the site,
    look for a link to "share." Then look for a way of obtaining "html code" (don't select the thumbnail version.)
    Copy that code and paste it directly into your message here.

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

Yeah, no need for schooling and book learning to paste the big perlite mountain on sodded over decomposed granite. (Idea from the "xeric design" thread)

I have a high pain threshhold.

• timbu
    11 years ago

The linked old thread had a white fence in the "after" pictures, I would never paint my fence white, but I like the outcome in this situation. I guess what makes it work is the strong, formal layout, and the repeating of white elements throughout the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: white fence

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

I have a white picket fence ( without the pickets) around the front of my house but it's not plastic.
    I think you could peruse the web for picket fence designs in a garden setting and find lots ofideas.
    Just use your imagination that the fence is wood and not plastic .
    {{gwi:30310}}From pina colada april 2012

gate closed
    {{gwi:30311}}From Pina Colada

gate open with a small portion of entry path and winter border
    {{gwi:30312}}From Pina Colada

• timbu
    11 years ago

Deviant, the plantings in pic 1 are delicious!

• inkognito
    11 years ago

I don't see the dog in those pics Michelle, is he hiding in that lushness somewhere?

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

Alas, Mr. Peabody the Jack Russell terrorist went to the big dog bone pile in the sky 2 years ago.
    Since then I have been involved with the Jack Russell rescue society and have had several very nice foster dogs who have come to live in amongst the garden for awhile.
    Trixie - who didn't smile much and had pogo sticks for legs. She used to jump over the fence and I had to chase her for blocks. She was good for my weight loss regime. {{gwi:30313}}From Trixie the Wonder Dog

This is Lola, She's been here for almost 10 months and we have decided to keep her along with all her charming and alarming personalities traits.
    {{gwi:30314}}From April 16, 2012

• inkognito
    11 years ago

My best friend went about the same time so as the man said: I feel your pain. I always thought the a Jack Russell would be a gardeners worst enemy but you do like a challenge. Oh! and plastic fencing.....sorry.

• timbu
    11 years ago

Same here - my garden's been dog-less for 2 years now. But it's suddenly very cat-rich, which is a completely new challenge.

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

So true, we love our 4 legged friends.
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

• bahia
    11 years ago

Would you ever consider paid ting your side of the fences/shed a dark brown or even black? That would certainly make it less obvious in the landscape. Otherwise, If you have the room to do it, layering the plantings with a tall screen at the fence transitioning down to smaller shrubs and perennials could also work. Clumping bamboos ate made for such applications.

We don't see much vinyl fencing here in the San Francisco bay area, and even composite lumber for decks is uncommon now that it is more expensive than real lumber. What we do see a lot of here in newer suburban subdivisions are precast masonry walls and fences with columns. Regional variations to keep different parts of the country from all looking the same. Although I like to think California is so distinctive it does stand out, parts of it can stand in for other regions in the film industry if you do t look too closely at the incongruent plant/tree species that could only be found together in California. I'm very glad I don't have to contend with white vinyl fences in my garden, the neighbor apartment complex's chain link fencing is ugly enough, but more easily screened...

• bahia
    11 years ago

Would you ever consider paid ting your side of the fences/shed a dark brown or even black? That would certainly make it less obvious in the landscape. Otherwise, If you have the room to do it, layering the plantings with a tall screen at the fence transitioning down to smaller shrubs and perennials could also work. Clumping bamboos ate made for such applications.

We don't see much vinyl fencing here in the San Francisco bay area, and even composite lumber for decks is uncommon now that it is more expensive than real lumber. What we do see a lot of here in newer suburban subdivisions are precast masonry walls and fences with columns. Regional variations to keep different parts of the country from all looking the same. Although I like to think California is so distinctive it does stand out, parts of it can stand in for other regions in the film industry if you do t look too closely at the incongruent plant/tree species that could only be found together in California. I'm very glad I don't have to contend with white vinyl fences in my garden, the neighbor apartment complex's chain link fencing is ugly enough, but more easily screened...

• manifest
    11 years ago

Just ignore the fact that you have a vinyl fence and look for images of backyards enclosed in white fences with shrubs that appeal to you. It shouldn't matter if it's vinyl or wood, really. What matters more is if the shrubs you like will work in your soil and your climate.

One of the major pluses about vinyl fencing is that you don't have to worry about moisture from the ground and from plantings gradually leading to rot of your wood fence in 10 years. It's very low maintenance and as I understand it, is supposed to last much longer than cedar or redwood fences.

• pamperedpeden
    11 years ago

I feel your pain when it comes to the white vinyl fence, we have the same hideous material on our deck railing.

I really like D-D's pictures. Maybe you could use the fence to your advantage as a backdrop to frame your plantings, so you notice the focal point (plants) and not the fence.

• mairenn
    11 years ago

it's not the white that's the problem, lots of good design possibilities there. You can plant whatever you like the look of, as if it were on a white sheet of paper.

the problem is that the plastic stuff is super shiny until it starts aging, and then it always looks dingy.

You could put up wooden lattice panels on the inside between the fence posts and do them whatever colors you want. It would help diffuse the reflectivity, and you can plant vines on them if you like.