Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greygoose_gw

New farmhouse foundation planting around porch

greygoose
11 years ago

I'm trying to get some ideas for what would look nice along the raised porch area on our new home. We may add some lattice to close the gap at some point, but I'd like to try planting some things first. Maybe hostas, daylilies, rhododendron?

The area receives no direct sunlight and we are in zone 5.

Finally, I'd like some input from folks as to whether this space is too long to simply put in a line of a single plants or if some sort of mixed bed would be a better bet. Thanks for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

Unless you like sharing a house with things like skunks, start with the lattice.

I'd go with a mixed bed because of the slope. I'd also do some research into what plants are going to do well in that site. Daylilies want a fair amount of sun. Rhododendrons want acidic soil. Hostas require a deer-free environment. Plants do much better if you can meet their basic needs.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

"Finally, I'd like some input from folks as to whether this space is too long to simply put in a line of a single plants... " It depends on what you mean by "this space"... just what's at the porch, or along each side of house?

Between shadow in your photo and materials setting in the way of view, I can't tell how much slope is along left side porch area... but it looks like there's some. I suggest you grade so as to continue it level along the porch area for a look of greater stability for the whole house, and so that when you install lattice (or something) it's easier and looks better.

For surrounding the porch area, a single plant type (with possible seasonal color added at each side of steps) would look good. I'd graduate to a larger shrub, as needed, to compensate for the slope. Also, there's are fair amount of blank wall space below windows @ the drive side that could be two-thirds screened.

It's likely that during the summer what is now exclusively shade, will get some sun.

At this point, I'm not trying to address what any plant is... just form and arrangement.

{{gwi:30435}}

• designoline6
    11 years ago

This space is too long to simply put in a line of a single plants and make a combination could be a better bet.

{{gwi:30436}}

• greygoose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks, this is so helpful! There is indeed a slope on the left side of the photo. It goes down to a walkout basement. Someday, I'd imagine a retaining wall over there. But I could probably even it out along that side somewhat without any hardscaping just to get started.

Does anyone know of a resource that lists shrubs/plants by mature height? Or have suggestions as to what might work? The entire left side of the photo receives no direct sunlight, but the other side gets full sun all day long.

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

You can't beat the Missouri Botanical Garden's website. Mature heights and general info on thousands of perennials, shrubs, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: MOBOT's Plant Finder

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

You didn't acknowledge so don't know if you saw my comment that in summer you may get more light on the north side of house. If you google "shrubs for zone 5" it will return various sites that list plants. You should say where you are as "zone 5 plants" in Maine are different from those in Nevada.

I see a good place for one Viburnum carlesii. (It is delicious!) Also, see places for spreading yew, Potentilla, Dwarf Jap. Spiraea... Hosta, Daylilies, Siberian Iris, Peony, Lily of the Valley... Lilac... what fits depends on how you arrange things.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner