Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paver Patio Base Grading

Posted by zayd MI (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 13:10

Hello, folks.

I'm building a 17'x23' paver patio and have finished the 6" compacted crushed stone base. My question relates to flatness of this layer. While I maintain an overall pitch away from the house, does the crushed stone base need to be perfectly flat before the slag sand/stone dust goes down? In other words, can one area have 1.5" of stone dust, while another may only have 3/4"? The overall slag sand layer will be perfectly flat and pitched, but does it need to be a uniform thickness throughout?

I ask because getting the crushed stone base perfectly flat has been a chore, and I am still left with small valleys and hills. Albeit the variance is probably 1/2" on average, but I want to ensure this won't affect the final [seasoned] level of the patio.

Thanks for the guidance with this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paver Patio Base Grading

Hi Z,

1/2" is not worth fretting over. 1/4" would have been better but a lot more work. There is different densities for the crushed stone and the sand. The important thing is getting the compaction in the crushed stone with proper moisture content for maximum compaction. The sand is just a leveling layer to make up the unevenness of the base, is easier to work to finish subgrade, but needs moisture and compaction also. Good luck. JMHO Aloha

o
RE: Paver Patio Base Grading

The pitch away from the house is good and important. Tampping is also important, so it will do you good to make sure the base area is done well. You need the right base to make the pavers or other stone material to lay well and last along time. Take care to do this or you will be replacing or redoing the area very soon. Yes it is labor intensive but don't let a short time line dictate a well placed path, patio or stone floor. Keep your level at the ready!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here