Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
floating deck or pavers

Posted by lauraella occa (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 13:11

We have a small area 12x9 in our side yard that we are trying to decide what to put. We thought about a floating deck and wanted to use a composite decking material, but it is sort of expensive. Yeah I know there is no maintenance, but it just seems like a lot for a small space. So then we were thinking about a paver patio of some sort. Here is a pic of the area.

Photobucket

excuse the empty bag of potting soil, I was working on planting at the time. The other end of the side yard looks like this.
Photobucket
This is looking from the gate towards the back of the yard.

We have real rocky soil and although we have a roto tiller, we still run into a lot of rocks. We just don't want to have to excavate much more. With the floating deck we just have to lay down the cement anchors, but with the pavers I think we need to go down 6"?

Is one easier than the other?

Thanks,

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: floating deck or pavers

Unless the ground freezes, all you have to do for a casual paver patio is LEVEL the ground and compact it.

Remove any surface rocks, rake it smooth, level it with a 2x4, tamp it down. A low-traffic patio area doesn't need more than flopping the pavers onto flat ground.

o

Pavers, for sure. My "no maintenance" composite deck gets covered in mold requiring frequent tedious power washing.

o

Well I think we found what we are going to do. Found some brickface pavers at HD they actually have a grout line! So just need 40 of them since they are 16x16! Then will fill around with rock, not gravel, bigger than that, which will be what the path is as well. Sort of like a floating paver patio! Will post pics when done!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here