Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry Tone Landscape Timbers

Posted by strawboss NV zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 13:14

I'm strapped for cash at the moment and need to put in a fenced garden area at my new home. Home Depot has their landscape timbers on sale for $1.47 for 8'ers. Hard to beat the price for any other kind of fence post. My property has high ph clay soil (an old salt marsh) and I'm wondering if this is a waste of time as they'll rot off too quickly. What do you guys think? Anything I can do to keep them from rotting off that isn't toxic? I've been told by others in my valley that cedar is the way to go but I simply can't afford it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry Tone Landscape Timbers

Can you paint them with a good latex paint to give them longer life?

o

Neither does cedar have the longevity that people imagine and attribute to it. You'll probably get at least 5 years out of cheap landscape timbers. They are not real strong so will work for a light duty fence like wire. If you're just trying to keep out rabbits & chickens it would work fine.

o

Thanks, that is what I was hoping I'd hear. The paint is not a bad idea. They come stained but not treated. I've also though about digging the post holes about 6" deeper than I want them set and putting gravel in the bottom.

o

The landscape timbers I know are treated but not stained. ?

o

These are the opposite. They have a cherry stain on them but are not treated with anything else.

o

Then you'll probably be lucky to get a year or two out of the in-ground part.

o

In that case I think I'll just use good pressure treated 4x4s at the corners and put a couple along each side (50' x 60') and hope they lend enough stability to keep it all together for a while!

o

Aren't there post holders that allow you to keep the wood out of the ground, and replace posts easily? Of course, that adds $$.

You might have better luck looking on craigslist for used lumber - the free listings, or for sale very cheap.

Karin L

o

• Posted by danincv z9 CA Mtry Bay (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 12:24

You can dip the ends of the landscape timbers in Copper Green to the depth they will be buried. Let them soak awhile. They will last quite a bit longer. Also if you cut a pressure treated 4X4 do the same to the cut end even if you don't bury it- pressure treating only penetrates a little way into the wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here