Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyblack

Gutter Guards and Popup Drain Emitters

garyblack
17 years ago

Hi - I may be posting this on the wrong forum, but I couldn't find a "drainage" or "gutter" forum. Any advice about more applicable forums (either on Gardenweb or elsewhere) would be appreciated.

1) I just build a new home. My builder installed pop-up drain emitters to carry away water from the downspouts to roughly 20' out into the yard. It just occurred to me that small debris flowing through the downspouts may wash out the popup emitter OK, but large debris may get stuck near the 90-degree popup elbow. I'm concerned since I have a finished basement and worry about water backing up around the downspouts/gutters due to blockage in the popup emitter area. How do people normally deal with this?

2) This leads to my second question - to prevent large debris from getting into my gutter (and hence downspout) in the first place, I'm considering to buy gutter guards. But there are so many varieties available now that it makes my head spin. Does anybody have success (or failure) stories about these, how well do they work, and what should I look for when choosing the type/brand of gutter guard?

Thanks in advance for any info or leads to more applicable forums,

Gary

Comments (10)