Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnmomof2

Help with wooded area in front yard

RNmomof2 zone 5
9 years ago

We just had 2 Amur Maples removed from this area in front of our house. Now I need some replacements.

We are Zone 5 and the house faces north, this area faces west.

My goal is to hide the neighbor's house and their mound septic system which is directly behind this area.

I am looking for something to fill in the large gap in front of the window (our master) and the larger area that is open from the tree removal. The items in the area are sassafras trees and volunteers, a wild cherry, poppies from my Grandmother's garden, hostas, and lamb's ears that won't go away!

I am thinking something shrubby like an oakleaf hydrangea for the wooded area. The larger area in front of the bedroom either one specimen or a grouping of three of something.

We have had evergreens in the window area until they got too big so I would prefer something with minimal maintenance that would be allowed to grow unrestrained.

Thanks for any input. Photobucket keeps crashing Firefox so farther back pictures will be posted in next message.

Comments (8)

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lay out will make more sense with this picture.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

In your pictures we can't see how much space there is for something to grow near your house.

It looks kind of weedy the way you are trying to screen by using the scruffy, low hanging branches of the tree. It would look better if you limbed up the tree and allowed space for the plant that will do the screening ... oak leaf hydrangea or whatever. Oak leaf seems fine, but it will not look too good growing up into the tree with them mixing indiscriminately.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:30472}}

{{gwi:30473}}

{{gwi:30474}}

Yardvark, are you talking the limbs above the poppies or on the crab apple in front of the house? The crab is getting pruned tomorrow. I would also take those two side reaching branches off the sassafras as well. What plantings would you suggest? The poppies will be gone soon and that will leave just a few hostas and the lamb's ears.

Any other suggestions for in front of the window? There is 20 feet from the house to the wooded area. That is the sight line coming down the sidewalk to the front door so I want something interesting and nice there.

Keep the ideas coming! Please!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I don't know my way around your yard, but if I could see everything clearly, I'd say any limbs that are low enough to smack you in the face are too low, no matter what tree they're on or where they are.

I like the idea of oak leaf hydrangea below the tree. Still don't grasp the area by the house insofar as what screening is needed.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Could you open your front door and take a picture of what you see from that location?

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking towards the neighbor's house, this is the view. As you step farther out or walk down the side walk towards the front door the back of their house, which is masses of lattice, is more visible.

Thoughts?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

It looks like you could use the screening of 3 fat evergreens arranged in triangular fashion near the lot line. If you were in the right zone, something in the shape and size of Nellie Steven Holly would be great. What's like that in your zone, I'm not sure.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

It looks like you could use the screening of 3 fat evergreens arranged in triangular fashion near the lot line. If you were in the right zone, something in the shape and size of Nellie Steven Holly would be great. What's like that in your zone, I'm not sure.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County