Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diybmore

help with back yard/patio design!

diybmore
11 years ago

hello,

i need help designing a new patio/seating area in my back yard. this is a 12 x 13 rectangle between my back door and an addition on the house. most of it is in heavy shade, except for a bit by the house, and the ground is all tree roots--nothing grows, not even weeds--with a small patch of sunken, uneven old stone patio. the border of it, by the house, was previously home to 7 (!) giant, out of control yews, which we chopped down to about 1 foot.

behind this space is a concrete pad patio, which is also sunken and uneven with terrible drainage. the whole area is continually littered with twigs, leaves etc, from surrounding trees.

my fantasy is to turn this spot into a seating/barbecue area, since it abuts the back, kitchen door. Wood decking would probably be ideal but that's out of our budget :( The kinds of things that *are* in our budget might be adding some edging, filling in with crushed stone and flagstones, or making new plantings, or putting in raised beds, e.g. But i'm really stumped as to how to lay it out and what to do about the chopped down yews, and the old concrete pad, and the old stone patio that's already there. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Pics are on the link.

Many thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: back yard/patio

Comments (3)