Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How far away from foundation should shrubs be planted?

Posted by sfsuperstar 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 07 at 13:27

Hi all, I'm installing some foundation plantings (thanks to everyone's input!), and I'm wondering what the guideline is for how far away from the foundation they should be. I don't want them "floating" out there forever, but I don't want them smooshed up against the wall when full grown. If a shrub says it grows 3-4 feet wide, should I plant it exactly 1/2 that distance from the wall? And should you use the smaller end of the range when doing that math? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How far away from foundation should shrubs be planted?

You want to leave a bit of space when the plant is mature so that it's not rubbing up against the house. If you will need to get back there to paint, or wash windows, or whatever, leave even more space. Having to hack away at a shrub to keep it within the space you've alloted for it often spoils the plant's natural shape unless you are going for a trimmed hedge anyway.

Plants continue to grow, the height and width given on plant labels and descriptions usually refers to the size at a particular age, like 5 years or 10 years. In time they will likely exceed that size, how much depends on the plant.
You can use the label's sizes as a guide.

o

I generally tell people no closer than 4 feet. This gives you two feet to pass between the house and shrub even if the shrub only matures at 4 feet wide, and also gets the shrubs out from under most overhangs. As the shrub grows, no one will see those two feet, and the house will have proper air circulation as well. Larger shrubs should, of course, be set much farther out.

I often plant perennials between shrubs and remove them as the shrubs grow.

o

great info, thanks! i had no idea they should be so far away from the house!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here