Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for our Sloped yard

Posted by dayglow_2000 Calgary AB (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 13:47

Hi! I am SO excited to have found this forum, as I have a front yard that needs some help! It is on a slope, and is sinking slightly at the bottom of the stairs, which makes that first step very high. There are only cement squares for steps, which I think I'd like to change. We would really love to keep lawn there, not too interested in covering it with shrubs or rock, but right now the lawn on the top of the hill is always quite dry. Would it be worth putting in a retaining wall to level it out? The other problem with it is that the lawn on the "hump" is infested with ants! I would really appreciate any feedback!
(PS - I don't know how to post a picture!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas for our Sloped yard

dayglow_2000, you'll find instructions on how to post photos at the second post on this thread:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/trees/msg1213182916236.html?4

When you go to Preview Message, what you see there is exactly what will show up in your final post. If the pictures show up there, you're fine: they'll show up in your post. If the pictures don't show up, go back and try again: you've missed something.

If you post a link, click on it in Preview Message to make sure it works and goes where you intended.

Good luck!

o
RE: Need ideas for our Sloped yard

The ant infestation is likely a side effect of the area being dry. But often I find ants are here one year, there the next... it is rarely a perennial problem.

If you want to change the dryness but keep it lawn, you could certainly do some grade changes, with or without a retaining wall, or possibly pay attention putting the right kind of grass there, some grasses may be more drought-tolerant than others.

Do post some photos to get more ideas.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here