Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ipe/Massaranduba Decking: Pregrooved or Not?

Posted by dlowen7861 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 14:03

I am going to order my fencing/decking this weekend, and am trying to decide between Massaranduba or Ipe. As of right now, I am leaning toward Massaranduba (because it is cheaper) for the fence, and Ipe for the deck. Would greatly appreciatie any thoughts from people who have experience with both--I am under the belief that both types of wood will look nearly idential after one year.

As to the deck, I'd like to achieve a clean look, and am considering pregrooved. I live in southern California, and we don't get much rain. If there was anyway I could, I'd install T & G--I absolutely love that look. But I realize that because the deck isn't covered, I can't. I'd therefore like to achieve a look with the least amount of spacing between boards and least number of visible fasteners--is there any problem going with pregrooved and using a hidden fastener system.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ipe/Massaranduba Decking: Pregrooved or Not?

Just ripped out a 10 year old Ipe deck in Northern California because they tightly butt jointed the deck boards and they cupped . Suggest you leave at least a 1/8 inch to 3/16 inch spacing.

no experience with Massaranduba.

o
RE: Massaranduba Decking: Pregrooved or Not?

Did you buy Massaranduba? I am thinking about building a deck with Massaranduba, and was curious about any problems you had.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here