Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_girl_ma

Need help with garden designs!

garden_girl_MA
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

My mother and I are looking for some help with upgrading our gardens. We are looking for low maintenance, perennial plants that can survive New England winters. I took some pictures of a few smaller areas in our yard that we'd like to tackle first.

1. Mailbox garden: we have never planted perennials here because of the amount of road salt we get in the winter. Are there any plants that this wouldn't bother? The plant in the images we picked up at Lowe's last month but I can't remember what it was called. I wouldn't be opposed to moving it.

Comments (5)

• garden_girl_MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2. We set up this area last summer after taking out a hydrangea that was too close to the house. I think it has potential but it seems so bland without plants. We are considering moving the bench, birdbath and feeder to a corner in the back of the house, but I really like the way it looks next to the path and gate. Our yard extends only to the end of the vinyl fence.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Also, this is my first time posting and I was wondering if there is a way to post additional images in the same post? I took some close-ups of the plant in between the mailboxes but thought it was more important to display the layout.

Thank you!

• maryinthefalls
    10 years ago

Do you want to use the bench? If so you need to move it closer to the walk and not behind the bird bath. I think what you have looks nice one b/c you have three well spaced things. If this was mine, I would create a 3-4ft diameter patio in front of the bench and link it to the path with a very narrow path. Sort of a lollipop look. I would either outline the patio w/ small gray paver stones, or make a small starburst. Then fill in between the stones w/ pea gravel. I'd try the birdbath behind the bench or else find a plant for some height (redbud tree, trellis and clematis, etc.). depending on the sun exposure, I'd then add roses or hostas to fill in the garden. Maybe moving your columbine from the mailbox area and adding four more would be nice. You have a good start, let us see how it turns out.

• maryinthefalls
    10 years ago

Oh, I forgot. While I love bird feeders, the birds make a mess and the dropped seeds often sprout and you get a weed patch. Perhaps there is something else you can hang there. Move the birdfeeder to your deck where you can see it more often. Just my two cents.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

The path looks a little awkward the way it approaches the door at a slant angle. Here are suggestions for two possible alternative layouts. (The colored lines represent path centerlines.)

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

The plant in the first picture (from what I can see) looks like my "double winky" columbine.

You can post more pictures by using HTML code in your message text.

You need the image web address, which usually ends in .jpg, and put it in the following format, just make sure you don't put a space between the bracket and "img". I have to put it, or else the forum would try to post a picture instead of the code.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations