Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit trees with underplanting?

Posted by gardening_fever z8, bc (My Page) on
Wed, May 19, 10 at 14:17

Hi all,

I'd like a nice looking yard with dwarf fruit trees. Can i plant the fruit tree in a shrub/perennial border? I know it will make it harder to pick but just seems like a wasted void space if it's not planted. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit trees with underplanting?

Sure! Underplanting fruit trees, often espaliered ones, with "salleting" was common in earlier times. The salad greens made a nice ground cover and salads.

Make sure it's a true dwarf, leave it enough room to grow, and don't underplant it with spiny stuff. Treat it like any short tree or tall shrub.

Consider planting some of the pretty vegetables and herbs in your borders too ... sage, rosemary, basil in summer, etc.

o
RE: Fruit trees with underplanting?

I have strawberries -- though not very good ones -- intermittently throughout the acre-plus of former horse pasture because before it was pasture, and even before it was plowed for whatever was planted before that, it was an apple orchard with strawberries under the trees. Clover is often underplanted in orchards to attract bees.

That said, keep in mind that the trees and underplantings will fight each other for water and nutrients. But maybe in BC water won't be a problem, and if your soil is good, maybe nutrients won't be a problem either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here