Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Violets hit garden- spring project finished!

violetwest
9 years ago

Sorry -- supposed to be "Hot" garden! Finally got my rock wall planter done, my circle delineated, and my native anchor plants (ocotillo, yucca elata, and palo verde) planted. And the drip irrigation lines installed around the perimeter. I'm sure it seems dry and dusty to y'alls eyes -- and it is! But I'm working with what I've got. It'll get there!

This post was edited by Violet.West on Wed, May 21, 14 at 16:04

Comments (8)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's my little circle. Obviously, this is still a work in progress; everything is still dirt, since I'm still getting inches of sand and dirt deposited on everything. I'm playing around with that spiral to decide the form it will eventually take.

I'm pleased that I got this portion done before the hot weather sets in -- nobody works on their gardens in the summer here -- way too hot! Plus, I need to watch where the water goes this summer after putting in my major structures of the screen porch and rock wall, and make adjustments to the swale, etc. if necessary.

Next will be pavers, and more planting in the fall! This is so fun. I know I am making mistakes as a newbie, but I've thought pretty hard about the site and what I want there, so I'm happy.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Wed, May 21, 14 at 14:27

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

just gonna have some fun with hardscape . . . and lighting! Since I mainly sit out there in the evenings, will be exploring my landscape lighting options next.

• ishcountrygal
    9 years ago

Violet, it looks like you are having fun with your landscape. I like your sinuous lower wall and the various colors of stones. Are these facing stones? Sandstone? What is the wall cap made of?

I look forward to seeing the future evolution of your "hot" garden.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks -- I think those rocks are sandstone, but not sure. It's locally quarried, and all the houses here have them. The house came with the perimeter wall, and I wanted the low wall to match, which I think it does well.

ETA: Oh, and the wall cap is brick. It's hard to see in the pictures, but the wall slopes on either end. After it was installed I looked at it and laughed, because I built a dragon in my garden! I'm going to look or make a feathered serpent or dragon head/tail.

The wall seems simple, but adds so much character to the yard -- I can sit on it, put things on it, put things against it--lots of possibilities now. And of course more plants in the fall after these get established.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Fri, May 23, 14 at 16:18

• frankielynnsie
    9 years ago

Thanks for giving us an update. I always wonder how the finished product turns out. It will be a great place to sit and relax and look at the mountains until you get all your plantings in.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    9 years ago

I love the desert landscapes in Sunset books and yours will be beautiful when it is finished. Whenever that will be, it will be worth all the planning and the work. I can see the fun of starting from scratch and making it all your own. Min

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yeah, mine's not quite up to "Sunset" standards yet -- wish I could afford to get it all done at once. thanks for indulging me!

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    9 years ago

a while ago you were working on a bare 3 walled space between house (?) and screened porch(?)... sorry i don't remember the layout. how did that turn out? do you have a photo? min