Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookie17_gw

New landscaping needed for front of house

cookie17
9 years ago

Bushes became overgrown and we have to redo the landscaping. The only thing I like is the bush on the solid wall, my husband thinks we should have something taller there. They can all come out if needed. I would appreciate any ideas as to what would look good since I have no idea where to even start. That side of the house is facing west. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Comments (10)

• shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
    9 years ago

What Zone are you in?

• cookie17
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I forgot to include that. Zone 6

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

It's an unusual house. I agree with the hub that something larger is needed in front of the blank wall. Here are some thoughts about what you could do ...

• cookie17
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Yardvaark for your help. I was thinking about using boxwood under the larger window so youâÂÂve given me a good idea of what that would look like. I also seen Physocarpus 'Lady in Red' which I like the color variations and thought I could use it on the right side of the same window (itâÂÂs in the ground in the pic). It grows to a maximum of 5â by 5âÂÂ. Do you think that will work? If so, do you think I could use it on the blank wall as well?

• dianne1957
    9 years ago

In my humble opinion; the blank center section needs an ornamental evergreen or two as a backdrop to a trellis with trailing roses or medium height ornamental tree. The evergreens could be sky rocket junipers or arborvitae. The ornamental tree could be ornamental cherry or purple prune plum that have purple leaves. In front of the tree mix bed, some azaleas or blood grass that comes back every year. Under the bay windows plant globe arborvitae and more Azaleas with blood grass in front. This way you have the bones of the garden in winter with the evergreens and the additional color in Spring and summer with the azalea and blood grass. Low maintence....you may only need to top off the blood grass in the fall!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I think you could use Lady in Red Ninebark where I show the large flowering grasses (three locations) but not below the window on the R side. I don't care that they say it will only get 5' x 5'. That will happen in a certain year and then the years after it will be larger.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    9 years ago

Wasn't Yardvaark nice to give you a sketch. I don't have those capabilities, but if you send me a personal note, I'll sketch out my idea of your areas. Include a picture of the side near the driveway, too.

I'd spend some time developing your beds first. The plants will make themselves known to you. I'm in zone 8, so I can't suggest any particular plants, but I could supply you with a rough layout. I just can't post it with any success.

I'd steer clear of the boxwoods to prevent any remote chance of future problems. Don't you guys have something evergreen that also blooms?

If you'll send me a note with some pics, I'll return a sketch. If not, you are well on your way.

Xtal

Here is a link that might be useful: Boxwood Blight

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Xtal, If you can provide a sketch via e-mail you should be able to provide one on here too. Just make sure it is saved in a picture style format such as .jpg .gif etc. Use the Browse button where you post a message and find the file and then post.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I really like the Nine Bark idea.

• cookie17
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My concern with using Arborvitae and Evergreens are the deer. We have some Arborvitae in our yard and the deer have been a problem in the winter.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus