Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betsyhac

Flower Edging Next to Pavers

betsyhac
12 years ago

I have a new patio made of pavers, next to which is a flower garden that I've been slowly but surely landscaping. Unfortunately, the dirt from the garden runs onto the pavers when it rains. I want to line the garden right next to the pavers with some type of low level, flowering perennial that will provide a good anchor for the dirt so that it's not flowing onto my patio. I had plastic edging put in, but ripped it out, bc I thought it was really ugly. Thx very much for your suggestions.

Comments (4)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

You could put some patio pavers on edge and half buried at the edge of the perennial bed to help the soil stay put (plastic edging isn't the only kind . . . ) You may want to use some coarse mulch to help anchor the soil as well, since most plants will take a bit of time to fill in. Alternatively, you could lower the soil level or look at the way water moves in the area to create your problem and see if changes can be made to resolve your issue.

Depending on your soil and sun conditions here are some plants that may help anchor your soil. All of the ones below have lots of leaves to break up raindrops and many stems (and many will root as they spread) to help hold the soil. I've grown all of them and when they aren't blooming the foliage will look nice.
    For sun:
    -thyme (many varieties ranging from flat mat to 6 or 8" high
    -some of the low, creeping bellflowers (Campanula) like C. carpatica 'Blue Clips' or C. portenschlagiana 'Resholt Variety'
    - low-growing perennial geraniums AKA cranesbill like G. striatum 'Lancastriense' or G. cinereum
    - a low-growing dianthus such as 'Graystone'
    - some of the low-growing sedums
    - Veronica 'Georgia Blue' or 'Waterperry Blue' which will also take part shade

For part shade:
    -Lady's mantle (Alchemilla mollis or alpina) (will take sun or full shade as well)
    - one of the creeping groundcover astilbes, such as A. chinensis var. pumila, which will take full shade
    -One of the spreading, low-growing sedges like Carex 'Ice Dance' which has variegated leaves and will grow in more sun as well

• betsyhac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Babs, thx so much for your comprehensive response! I love your suggestions. This flower bed is between the house and the patio, so I do want the slope, but I'm going to use all of your suggestions.

• bonsai_audge
    12 years ago

A lot of paving stone manufacturers are coming out with a lot more unobtrusive edge restraints that are intended to keep the pavers moving out of place. The visible edge is very small. If you have a planting bed, and will need to eventually dig out plants, weed, or otherwise disturb the soil immediately adjacent to patio, I would highly suggest looking into them before you complete the planting.

Google Image search for "paver edge restraints"

Our backyard patio is completely surrounded by planting beds, and over time, roots and disturbance to the edges of the patio caused the pavers at the edge to loosen and allow for more soil to make its way into the cracks. This furthered issues with weeds growing between the pavers, and so I eventually just removed the outer course to install edge restraints on the existing granular base.

Another precaution to take would be to use polymeric sand if you haven't; this will help keep soil from working into the paver joints.

- Audric

• timbu
    12 years ago

At my place, we cast concrete at the edge of pavers, but so that the concrete is a little below ground level and stays invisible. Where the flower bed is higher than the pavement, I edged with natural stone slabs and filled the gaps from the backside with a mix of cement and stone dust.